where would I be sectioned?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am an 18 year old female, I have suffered with depression, bipolar disorder and anxiety for the past 3 years, I am currently on medication and seeing a therapist and my GP on a regular basis, However after all of this effort it hasn't seemed to make a difference, I have also been self harming for the past 4 years and I have had 3 suicide attempts in the past 2 years, I am thinking of vising my local accident and emergency and telling them my situation so that I could volunteer to be sectioned  as my suicidal feelings are getting worse and my home situation is not supportive. My question is if I am sectioned would I be placed a teen ward or adult ward seen as I only turned 18 in may, dose this matter or would it just be based on where had free beds. I am only asking as the idea of been placed on an adult ward terrifies me and I would prefer to be on a teen ward 

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    `Firstly it is not as simple as walking into your local A&E and requesting to be voluntarily being section and admitted to a ward -  which in your case, would most likely be an adult ward as they we have clearance from age range 17+ 'due to the shortages of teen wards as you call them.  

    Secondly you can't volunteer to be sectioned - you can be assessed by a multi-disciplinary team which includes 2 doctors and a social worker called an “AMHP” for them to be able assess your mental health and capacity to be able to legally detain you under a section 2 or 3 of the mental health act. 

    I would highly discourage you going down this route as you either may get stuck in the system if they do detain you or you will be turned away as a waste of time and most likely not taken seriously again on subsequent visits. 

    Best bet is go in to A&E and just be honest - say you really need support you want to come in as an informal patient to get the support and help you need as things are now at the lowest and my home environment is not suitable to send me back to, this will force them into a social care issue where they are duty bound being that you are considered vulnerable to assist you under the national assistance act. 

    Remember as last resort to qoute them on the national assistance act, which is a given right to all citizens and they have to abide by this piece of legislation. 

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Similarly, be aware of the risks of being sectioned as well. Once signed over by a next of kin, it is possible for them to administer medication without your consent.

      And to reiterate what Brian said, you would be treated as an adult.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      If you are willing to be admitted to hospital then you are not going to be sectioned eve if they decided that you need to be admitted to hospital. If you were to be admitted it would be as a "voluntary" patient, which is what it says on the tin..

      In a way the fact that you recognise your own situation ie suicidal feelings, self-harm means that you are probably ideal for being treated at home with regular visits from the home treatment team.

      And there is nothing wrong with you going to A&E. I have been there quite a few times. You will always (or I have always) seen a psychiatrist and you will spend many hours there presumably while they observe you - and then they will send you home.

      I have been inhopsital quite a few times (4 times in 25 years). More recently my psychiatrist deliberately or otherwise gave me a glimpse of my ward and how grim it was. Often the people there are not people you would choose to mix with, and they are there with terrible problems.

      It sounds to me as though you might be seen by a psychiatrist (or psycholgist) at the hospital even if you are not admitted.

      You say that you suffer from bp or depression. Who diagnosed you as such - your GP, IMHO, is not qualified to undertake to diagnose or treat serious psychiatric disorders with appropriate medication- yes, mild depression which they must be seeing all the time - but if there are serious problems you should be seeing someone with the appropriate qualifactions.

      Amongst other things even a psychiatrist finds it difficult to get the meds right, let alone a GP.

      I hope that this helps.

      Are you seeing the therapist privately or through the NHS. What are they treating you for?

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up