Which allergy blood tests do I need?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wondering which blood tests I need to check if I have an allergic reaction to something?

I have already had:




Are these all of them or am I missing any?

Thanks very much for any helpĀ biggrin

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    My allergist used a prick Test where they stuck me with different allergens and then waited to see what pop up on my skin. This can be done for food allergies
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

      I am only wanting a blood test that would show my body is having an allergic reaction to something (but doesn't show what exactly). Then if it comes back showing a problem I can further investigate.

      I believe the tests that i've already had (IgG, IgA and IgM) do this kind of thing but i'm wondering if there are any others?

      Do i need one called an IgE or is this not relevant? I don't know what this test shows.

      If anyone knows more that would be fantastic. Thank you very much.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      The ige test is not specific, if elevated it will just reveal that your body is responded to something. That's why an allergy test is needed so u can narrow down what is really making ur body produce elevated ige

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I thought of typical allergy test done was where they drew the blood and tested it first and then did the scratch test.

    Years ago I learned something about allergy tests. There is a significant difference in the way an allergist and an ENT does an allergy test. And allergist just do a scratch test on certain allergens . The allergens on the scratch test is a very minute amount of the allergen itself . Then if you respond to it they consider you allergic to substance. If you have no response they consider you not allergic to that allergent. But if you have one done by your ENT doctor they will give you a small amount of the allergen and wait and see if you have a reaction. If you do not have a reaction they will give you more of that allergen. They'll do that three times increasing the amount of the allergen and if after the third time you have not had a reaction then they consider you not allergic . Their belief being that you can still be allergic but need a larger amount of the allergen before your body responds. Years ago I had an allergy test done by an ENT doctor and they picked up a number of allergies. I got my weekly shots was good to go. Now about 25 years later I went to an allergist for an allergy test . The only allergy that their test showed was for molds. I told her I knew for a fact I was allergic to animal dander . So she tested my blood and it came back negative too. She does not believe I am allergic to animal dander because her test say I'm not but I know that my body says I am . So as nice as this doctor is and she is very nice I'm thinking of going back to an ENT doctor . Because I need to know what I'm really allergic too not just what her test shows.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up