Which antibiotics are safe after TURP

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had TURP on Friday ("day 1"wink, and stayed in hospital over the weekend.  On Monday ("day 4"wink they removed the catheters, tested me, and discharged me.  The op was apparently a success.  Don't worry, I shall get back to the TURP bit in  a moment ...

BUT, the nursing left something to be desired, because it left me with an infecting in my arm growing from puncture site of a cannula they had installed.  The nursing staff identified it as "just and irritation" and gave me sports gell.  The uro, in the discharge inerview, identified it as an infection and gave me some surface antibiotic cream.  I don't think that is enough, because the infection seems to be in the veins.

By the time I got home, mywhole lower arm was scarily sore and swollen.  I went to my GP, who was the onlyone open that late in the day.  He gave my 875 amoxicillin / 125 calvulanic acid, which I am taking.

Last night (day 5) I got up for a pee, and all was well and clear until the end, then I started heamoraging blood, not just burgandy pee.  It was comparable in volume to a nose bleed.  Is that normal? Was this caused by the antibiotic?

My uro has his day off today so I can't get  hold of him.  The haemorage has not happened since.  What to do?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Where are you? What hospital sends a patient home with an infection?
    • Posted

I would rather not say for fear of getting sued for defamation. But it is somewhere in the EU but not the UK.
  • Posted

During the day call the hospital ward you were in for advice. Hospital in Sussex gave me an out of hours number to call that was a nurses home number.
    • Posted

I wasn't given a follow up number. I guess by this late I shall wait until the uro gets back tomorrow. Thanks for the tip anyway. If there is a next time I shall ask for an emergency follow up number. I should have been more assertive but I didn't feel in condition.

• Posted

Mike I hope this helps. I can't give you any ideas for the infection but I am 23 days post FLA and my doctor gave me a pill called Uribel. It stops the urgency, any bladder spasms, and any stinging when you pee. It turns you blood blue in color but this is a real life saver on the urine stinging when you pee. I am doing great. I am back 99 percent and had sex last night with no blood and big ejaculation. Very happy. Hope Uribel can assist you as it really helped me through the whole deal. Off of it now and all other drugs.

• Posted

I would call about the infection. They may have blown out the vein. That will cause pain and swelling. They did that to me a bunch of times. IV gets pumped in under the skin. Hurts. The bleeding will continue for 6 weeks or so. If you strain to pee, lift anything, You will blow out the clot and bleed more. Again I would ask about that as well. Rather safe than sorry.
  • Posted

I am 13 months on from TURP and can still get blood on occasions. Just be wary with infection if you feel any fever, sickness, sweating etc and get it checked straight away as Sepsis can be about.
  • Posted

Ciproflexin or Cipro stops blood in urine following prostate procedures.

Full recovery from TURP can take up to 8 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.