Which antibiotics work for diviticulosis flare up?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been put on something and it's made me feel so poorly.  To avoid lots of different ones, can someone please tell me the best with the least side effects?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

They all have side effects. Also if you have diverticulitis you will be feeling poorly. For some time. Fatigue, nausea, pain. Have they drawn blood on you showing infection or did you have a scan to confirm infection? There has been recent research showing flare ups of diverticulitis does not necessarily warrant antibiotics at all. They should be saved for more severe cases. I am not telling you to stop taking them but bring this up with the prescriber. The new guidelines of UK is to minimise antibiotics and use sparingly. If you have pain but no active infection diet and ibs treatment may be more suitable for you. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you.  I am starting to think diet is the way forward.  I was very very ill over December with high temperature and bad nausea and squidgy tummy.  I did a bowel prep last Monday, had a colonoscopy on Tuesday (by oncologist) as I was referred for possible cancer.  He diagnosed diverticular and then the GP put out antibiotic.  I'm not a fan of taking them to be honest, so if I can avoid it, I shall.  What diet suggestions would you have when I have a flare up?
  • Posted

Hi jane. If you have a fever then you need antibiotics for your diverticulitis, I had the same problem recently and had the antibiotics for the diverticulitis and other tablets for the ulcerative colitis, a diet that's full of fruit and vegetables with jacket potato or rice is what I find best, avoid nuts and seeds also drink plenty of fluids and avoid alchahol, remove the skins from fruit before eating as sometimes it's hard to digest.

inhope your feeling better and the results of your follow up appointment are positive. Take care. 

• Posted

Look up the mayo diet. Fluids when it's worst. Then introduce other food slowly. I tried anti inflammatory diet used by people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. Similarly to Mediterranean diet. I had to stick to it for a month but now I feel good again after 8 months of pain. I also used the ibs medication you can use over counter. The liquid one milky in consistent. It promotes you to expel any trapped air and reduces the swelling. This has worked for me. I try and find name of it. Starts with k something. Ibs and diverticulitis can often co exist. I hope you feel better soon and I think you need to ask gp why they prescribed the antibiotics. If you have no fever now.

• Posted

I had my first really bad flare up recently, having been diagnosed 18 months ago. Doctor prescribedMetronidazole antibiotics. Have just taken my last tablet and feel so much better. I do not normally tolerate any medication well and was waiting for some side effects. Other than a slight headache, all been fine!
    • Posted

Thanks Chris.  I've stopped taking the ones I was given and feel so much better today.  My GP said it's best to stop them if you are not tolerating them.  I shall make a note of the one you have suggested and see if they will let me try them next time.  Let's hope that is a long time from now smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.