Which antidepressant to try after Venlafaxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have just joined the site and need some advice. I have been on venlafaxine 225 for 4 years now and I am currently coming of it slowly every month down by 37.5mg, I am now on 75 mg and feeling so awful with all the normal symptoms.

Can anyone advise me as to which antidepressant to go on next as unfortunately I can not be without one and can I start taking it akongside the 37.5 which I am about to go on.

I was thinking of trying Citalopram which my son is on.

Suki

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

have you tried any SSRI's before?
    • Posted

I have been on them for 20 years and tried many times to come off them but in the end I knew i had a chemical misssing and could not do without. So i have been on Sertraline, and  Prozac in the past which both stopped working.

The reason I decided to come off Venlafaxine was i was still so depressed. I had gone through a huge life changing traumatic event a few years ago that is when they put me on the Venlafaxine so I dont know what to try next all I know is i feel so low and tearful daily.

Suki

• Posted

I am like you, always going to need an anti depressant. I'm also on venlafaxine having tried and failed on prozac and sertraline. Mine has also gave up the ghost for me and i am due to see my doctor next week about changing, hopefully.

There is another anti d, mirtazipine, which is from completly different family of AD's and is relatively new(ish) , could be worth considering that

• Posted

Personally I think you are coming off too quickly. I think you should go back up to 112.5mg Venlafaxine (3x37.5) and stay on that until at least February next year. This may lift your mood and take away the withdrawal symptoms. Your body can then take it's time adjusting and stabilising ready for your next reduction to 75mg which again you should stay on for several months before another reduction. In the meantime start taking high dose Omega Three capsules (1000mg) twice a day.

I have been taking Venlafaxine at 300mg for 16 years. I started a gradual reduction in January and got down to 75mg. This was a step too far too soon! I raised the dosage to 112.5 mg and within days felt better. I am completely stable and am leaving things as they are until the New Year when I will again go down to 75mg where I will stay for several months. There is no rush to do this! If doing this more carefully means you do not need to take another medication (rather defeating the object isn't it?) and avoid the worst withdrawal symptoms then please do it.

• Posted

I am taking 2 Life extension super omega-3 2000mg every morning and have been taking them for last year, should I be taking more
  • Posted

When i came off venlafxine before i came down approx 37.5mg/fortnight from 225 and the last week took alongside low dose of prozac and then off togther and took the prozac for another week, this helped me with withdrawls and seems to be a recgonised method of coming off ven without too bad withdrawls
  • Posted

I am changing from venlafaxine to sertraline. 75mg to 37.5mg, cross tapered with 25mg sertraline.  Was doing fine until today when I had brain zaps, needed to be in bed to feel safe.  Taking my sertraline now at night to see if it helps and then going onto 50 mg Saturday night 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.