Which Blood Pressure Reading Should I Go By?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Which blood pressure reading should one go by, the reading taken when your arm is rested on a table at level with your heart, or when your arm is at your side? When I go to my doctor's office the nurses always take it with my arm at my side, and that is usually the only reading they'll do. Occasionally my doctor will do a second reading with her stethoscope and the reading is always much lower. I've been cutting my 5mg Amplodipine pill in twos for the past week, and taking half doses just to see if my body can do some of the work on its own. I guess it's failing. Taking full doses I was averaging a stable 110ish/72-77 or sometimes lower like 98/65. Now with half dose I seem to start in the morning with 110ish/72ish and go up to 118ish/77-89 by evening and stay there until I go to bed. Here's the thing though, these numbers are often taken with my arm at my side. If I rest it at heart level the readings can be significantly lower, and sometimes the same. What should I go by? I really want to be able to stay on a lesser dose and hopefully off completely one day. It was discovered at the beginning of Feburary that my blood pressure was elevated 135/92. Once I found out I obsessed! Then it began jumping all over the place spiking as high as 178/113 then crashing down. I became so nervous about it, in complete denial, checking it on my home monitor every 10 mins. Three days before my hbp was discovered I had been abusing saline laxatives for a few years, and decided to quite. Then a couple weeks prior to that I had stopped drinking green tea and starbuck's energy drinks. Everyone thinks my blood pressure got screwed up from the laxatives and energy drinks. At first my doctor said the same thing, but after giving me two weeks to bring my bp down there was no change so attributed it heredity and started me on pills. I guess I'm so freaked out that this really is genetic and I'm going to have to live with this, stay on meds forever. My mother and sister are both on bp pills. My grandmother had it too. The difference is they were overweight, I'm about 5'6" at 132lbs. but I did have awful lifestyle behaviors. I've been drinking lots of water and trying to eat healthier, but these pills give me such horrible constipation, and I'm already constipated extremely from stopping yrs of laxative abuse. My ankles are swelled, and I comb out a ton of hair from these meds. Does this sound like hbp from heredity or what I've done to myself? Will my bp ever return to normal? If so, how long would it take? I can think of nothing else but my bp right now, meanwhile I'm also trying to deal with the eating disorder thing. Far too much stress on me sad Sorry to keep posting.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks sharon34402 and Mike 92384 for your encouragement. I think i am becoming more accepting of the need to take medication and more relaxed about taking the BP measurement after only a week. I read somewhere (not sure if it was on this site) that for an older person higher BP's (up to 160) can be considered OK. If this is the case I will be there soon.
    • Posted

Hi oince again gil72653..I agree with what Nannylynn wrote...however,

it's a good idea that when you take your bp readings...take a reading

in the morning hours AND once again in the afternoon. Don't take your readings more than 2x/dailiy. You'll fall into the habit of taking it too often if you do. Remember to relax. If you're feeling at all anxious or stressed, in pain, or simply not feeling well, don't take your readings. If you haven't purchased your own bp monitor as yet, the make that Nannylynn suggested is very good. Take the monitor with you next time you see the doctor. This is a good way of ensuring that the monitor is giving you accurate readings. As for the grapeseed extract, I don't know about that.Check with your pharmacist about this. He/she will know what medications you're on, & can guide you as to if this is ok, or advise against it. I got mixed opinions with the CoQ10..it's believed to lower bp...my pharmacist strongly discouraged it, while 3 others said there's not much proof that it truly does lower bp. It works better for those who take statins.Just because something is a herb, doesn't mean it's harmless. 

We're all here as a support forum for each other...so if at any time you need to vent, by all means come onto the forum. We're not doctors, nor do we profess to be, but we can surely share our experiences..good or bad with certain medications.

• Posted

Can anyone tell me of a UK supplier of  200mg grapeseed extract caps or tabs?

Seem to have spent a lot of time searching..have found a UK supplier of 2000mg - probably too high a dose, alternatives seem to be US, longer delivery time.

thanks

• Posted

Hi Me914,

How are you keeping, how is the BP? Just thought I would check up on a few people see how everyone is doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.