Which BP meds is everyone taking?

Posted , 9 users are following.

just curious. Which BP meds is everyone taking and which dosage?

which is the better diagnostic tool to monitor aneurysms, a CT scan with contrast or an MRI with contrast?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am not currently taking any blood pressure meds. I check my pressure regularly and it typically runs between 116/70 - 130/76. My Dr has been reluctant to put me on any meds but I am wondering if it should be lower. I'm curious to hear what others have been told. I know Losartan is a common med for patients with aneurysms. My ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm last measured 4.5 cm and that was measured by an echocardiogram. I have also had two CT scans without contrast but no MRI.

• Posted

I had an echocardiogram to diagnose my aneurysm, which was 5.7cm aortic root. Before suregery I had CT scan and angiogram to determine if I also required a bypass.
  • Posted

I am on Verapamil 120mg extended release and metoprolol 75mg per day (50 in the morning and 25 at night). With meds my BP is around 110-118/60-75.
  • Posted

Taking hydrochlorothiazide, losartan, carvidolol, amlodipine.

My cardiothoracic surgeon said either scan works for him. The radiologist who did my recent MRI/MRA scans claimed that MRI/MRA was more detailed than CT. From what I've read online, they seem to be equivalent.

What problem do you have that you want scans for,

• Posted

I have 4.9 ascending - just before the arch. I take 80mg propanalol(sustained release) daily and have MRI scans (without contrast) every 6 months. When looking into it I discovered that MRI's are less invasive as they do not use xrays. CT scans use a very high dose so for long term monitoring not to be advised. If it got to near surgery I would probaly have CT scan as well. I have not been advised to have high contrast with MRI but when I asked for CT scan it was going to be high contrast. As I have a tendency to vomit and many people react to the drug that is injected before hand as it can cause incontinence and vomiting in some people, I chose the MRI. The MRI scanner is a cardiology one it takes about 45 minutes and a computer generated voice requires a lot of breath holding. Next time I will be less stressed out by that - will take my own music and just do my best.  I am in the UK. In also checingin the States I discovered that MRI's (or MRA's as I think they are called) are more expensive than CT scans there and as it is an insurance based system often only CT's are offered. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.