Which doctor to do surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All,

I too have a cyst on my right ovary and has been there close to 14 years and is growing to 8.5cm.  My GYN is trying to push for a full hysterectomy since it will be more convenient.  I don't feel I need to go that far with having no other problems, but since I'm under I will also have a lipoma removed.  My question is what type of doctor are you using a surgeon or a Gyn?

I'm schedule for a surgery consult (general surgeon) next week and I'm thinking about asking him if he can do a laparoscopic and remove the ovary since I have already had a cyst removed about 34 years ago on the same ovary. I'm just not too sure about my gyn during surgery.

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had a cyst removed and ovary on my right side about 5 years ago.  Have a surgeon that specializes in woman's issues. I had it done laproscopic and it went well.  Unless other issues are present a hysterectomy shouldn't be needed.  You may need a second opinion. I'm having tests done again, I might have the same issue on the left.  I'm having a transvaginal ultrasound on Friday so I'll see what happens.

• Posted

Thank you for your insight.  I'm going to a surgeon that does alot of breast work, he also has removed a lipoma before on me.  I'll have to ask him if he is willing to remove cyst and ovary without the other getting too huffy and upset that he isn't doing the surgery.  My gyn seamed so eager to do all and I really don't have any other issues to call for a hysterectomy.  I would rather have the surgeon do the surgery than my gyn just becasue I haven't been to pleased with the gyn office for about a couple of years.  I guess I know more next week.

Good luck on your ultrasound on Friday, let's keep in touch

How long were you in the hospital?  I would like to come home same day.  I do tolerate pain well.

• Posted

I can't correct the spelling.  I should have said seems to eager

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.