Which hormone cream? Link to UTIs?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've had UTIs for many years, but, as of last June, I hadn't had one for two years.  In the six months since then, I have had two.  I was also dignosed with vaginal atrophy during this time - dryness, pain and incredible itching - and am using a vaginal moisturer, although it's not particularly effective.   I'm post-menopausal.  

I will be seeing my GP next week and wonder whether I might be better to ask about a hormone cream.  Do some creams work better than others?  I would be interested in other's experiences.  I've been a little wary of using them in the past, because of the hormone risk, but am now thinking that if they reduce UTIs, it may well be worth it.  Have others found that there is a link between vaginal atrophy and the frequency of UTIs?  

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have had Uti's every 6 to 8 weeks for 4 years. Finally was diagnosed with atrophy. Was given Premarin cream and then developed yeast infections and still had uti. Look Mona Lisa touch. That's my next attempt to end this
    • Posted

Thank you Nancy.  I've looked up Mona Lisa Touch and don't think it's available on the NHS here in the UK.  I do hope that it works for you.
  • Posted

I am 67 and have been using vagifem with some success for about 4 years now. No itching and I also use Yes moisturisers/lubricant as necessary.
    • Posted

Thanks, Sally.  That sounds positive and I'm pleased that it's worked so well for you.  I'll make a note of it.  I've been using Sylk moisturiser, but, as I said, it's not particularly effective on its own.  All the best.
    • Posted

I have found the yes lubricants suit me best sling with twice weekly vagifem pessaries. The itching was awful I do sympathise with you!
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, I was using Estriol cream as prescribed by my doctor , I was using it externally once a night for 2 weeks , then as and when I found it very soothing , I also use Multi gyn acti gel 

xx

• Posted

I'm using it intermittently Lee, it did burn initially yes, but not to any great extent more tingly than burn .
    • Posted

Im kind of sensitive to creams,so was wondering. I am leaning toward the cream as you can control the amount better that has to be used. Also my issues are more externally. Anyway I am taking it from your answer as the burning has stopped? If so,I bet its because your tissue has gotton better and not as sensitive.
    • Posted

Hi Lee, my issues were external , more urethra and surrounding areas.Estriol is easier to control , I did use it internally with the applicator that was supplied with it , but it caused me swelling , applying externally suited me  better , yes it did help .
  • Posted

Hi Rosiemags I don't have any experience of UTI but I can recommend HRT pessaries for vaginal atrophy. I've been using them for 12 months, 10mg 3 times a week, recommended by a brilliant Gyne doctor, also use Balanceactive menopause plus moisture pessaries and aloe vera organic gel, sometimes Replens. and i was prescribed the non soap moisturiser people use for washing when they have ezema which helps too. I was againts hormones when i started with this, have been all my life, I'm now 55yrs old and I've decided not to worry, the 10mg is really low and is safe even for those who have previously had breast cancer. So go for it.
  • Posted

I have used oestradiol pessaries (Vagifem) for nearly 26 years now.  I was disappointed when they reduced them to 10mg but now use one every 2nd day.  We get more in the box that allows us to do that.  I also use oestriol cream for the outside bits.

I also use oestradiol full strength patches too - started off with the implants but unfortunately they stopped making them.  Recently found a compound chemist who makes the implants so I am going to move back to them.  Once again been using oestrogen for nearly 26 years.

That solves the atrophy/dryness problems but UTIs have different causes, although the damaged delicate skin would not help.  The 3 times I have had an UTI in my 65 years, I immediately started drinking Ural (there are different brands), take Cranberry capsules (cranberry juice may have too much sugar in it), eliminate sugars from your diet anyway (bacteria love sugar).  The last event was so bad I was passing blood as soon as I woke up and felt like I was passing razor blades.  I had to get anti-biotics for that one.  So unfortunately, despite all the known precautions, it will happen now and then.

According to The Wisdom of Menopause, smear some oestriol cream on the urethra to strengthen and repair, also supposed to help with slight incontinence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.