Which IOL lense?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everybody. 

[u]Goal[/u]

I am planning to have having cataract surgery soon. My optimal goal is to have better distance vision without increasing halos/glare at night and without compromising too much of my current reading vision. 

[u]Current Vision[/u]

My Rx Sphere for my left side is -2.75 and -6.0 for the right.

My Rx Cyl. for the right side is -1.0 and -1.75 for the right.

Heath Issues

Both LASIK and PRK were out of the picture because my right eye has a very thin cornea. My left eye however, can do PRK. Currently, I have dry eye and night time driving is very difficult due to the glare which is sometimes reduced with my glasses. 

[u]Questions[/u]

I am not sure as to which IOL lenses is the best for my case. I understand that there are three combinations possible(both monofocal lenses, one monofocal lense and one multifocal lense, and both multifocal lenses). One solution my surgeon presented me with is having both monofocal lenses implanted, however I am worried about the loss of depth perception: which is very limited at the time being. Both multifocal lenses to my understanding, would not allow for fully clear vision at all distances(near, intermediate, and far) in addition, halos and glare seem to be a major issue with multifocal lenses. This leads me to be quite unsure about one monofocal and one multifocal which seems to be the best for my case.

[u]Brands[/u]

For a monofocal lense, I was leaning towards with a Tecnis Symfony lense or a Softec HD lense. For multifocal lense, I was leaning towards TECNIS® Multifocal or AcrySof® IQ ReSTOR.

[u]Conclusion[/u]

If you could please include your age range, what type of lense you chose(monofocal or multifocal and brand), you current depth perception, the severity of night time halos/glares and any opinions you have in hindsight about your procedure would be greatly helpful to me. Thank you to everyone who has commented or read about my situation.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had IOL replacement in June 2017 . I was very short sighted in both eyes . I am now glasses free apart from using reading glasses  for very close reading . I have Rayner T Flex toric lenses . 
  • Posted

Who told you having monofocals in both eyes would cause a problem with depth perception? That only happens if you have monovision (one eye set for distance and one for close).
    • Posted

I got standard, non-toric monofocals set for distance in both eyes (the IOLs were totally paid for by my insurance) and I hardly ever need to wear glasses now, except for extending close-up reading or very tiny print. It doesn't matter which brand of monofocals you get. My depth perception is also fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.