which is best

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have for the last year been on codeine for pain relief for  TKR jan 2017 and 2nd TKR nov 2017 I want to stop taking them  Do you stop altogether or do you wean yourself off them say instead of two every 4 hours take one My stomach lining is in a bad place I have all told been proscribed  4 lots of antibiotics and still have chest infection Iron tablets for low blood count the last lot of antibiotics nearly killed me I have copd and my breathing has been awful Decided to stop all meds for the time being at least mainly the codeine I have started on stomach tablets prescribed by my GP which has in the last 24 hours given my stomach a relief and feel like eating now Thanks for any advice given  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan. Speaking from very unpleasant experience I would not stop all at once. The withdrawals from codeine are awful so it's best to wein yourself off slowly to let your body readjust. If you ask your gp for something to ease the withdrawals which will include flu like symptoms, night sweats, anxiety, restlessness and depression (in my experience). These are all avoidable with help. Good luck and keep posting for advice xx

• Posted

Hi Joan, 

Personally l think which is best is to go to you’re dr and tell him you want to reduce taking them  altogether and he will be more than happy to make a plan up to come of them gradually cause anything with codiene  in it can cause unpleasant side effects by stopping them straight away, 

If you don’t mind me asking how long have u b taking them and wat for?

Kind regards

??🌸??

• Posted

Hi Joan

Please just eat what you feel like eating!!

Also please consult your Dr, don't just stop taking what you have been prescribed as its always best to ween yourself off your medication, depending what you've been on & for how long but, I would always recommend having a chat with your Dr who prescribed you the medication In the first place!!

Happy New year to you & yours Joan. Please let us all know how you get on But, please do ask your Dr.

Good luck Joan!!

Take care sweetheart

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Hi Joan 

Sorry to hear your troubles. 

My advise after going through numerous detox’s is to spk to the doctor and get a tapper plan in place.

This will mean you will slow down taking them a certain way and then be off them totally. It allows your. Oxy gi slowly adjust to the levels in your system.

Pls understand you will still go into withdrawal but it won’t be as bad as cold turkey.

Myself I have just finished detoxing fentanyl, I was in 125mg every 48hrs transdermal patch. I used a tapper plan for this one as the ones I did before itried cold turkey and it was awful.

It was not a nice detox but was doable. I am now nearly five week clean from fentanyl and my body is adjusting to it slowly. As I said it wasn’t pleasant but can be done. Some days are worse than others and you will reach s point with at detox which is your bad point but you can push through it.

It will take up to 2 years fir my body to fully adjust back to normal after what the fentanyl has done to it but it was worth it to be off the drug.

I am having probably 3:7 bad days and a few ok days now stil in withdraws but got past the first couple of weeks which were the worst.

The forums helped me allot and helped me get through it when I had no other support so pls feel free to message me if you need any help with anything or just to talk if you need too.

I hope it goes well for you you will feel much better once you have done it just have to push through the hard parts.

If you can detox opioids then you can do anything!!!

Good luck with it all.

Andy

• Posted

Joan, please tell your doctor you want to stop taking them and then do it, only, with his help. You have other health issues that are more pressing than stopping codeine right now, esp, doing it alone.  Please confide everything in the doctor and do it under medical supervision.  Good luck Joan. From Sharon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.