which is best benzodiazepine for acute anxiety, such as before a surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, i'm just wondering which benzodiazepine people would say works best for them for anxiety, iv had a few surgeries already where I was given temazepam, first one in may last year I was given something but didn't know it's name and it worked, made me calm and sleepy within under an hour, but in October 2014 i was given a temazepam and it helped a little but i was still anxious and it wore off after 90-120 mins and had worn off pretty much completely before I was taken down to theatre, then in January this year I was given a double dose of temazepam before surgery, got on a bed to wait to be taken down the theatre and they took me down after like 25 mins and they hadn't kicked in And I had a panic in the theatre and was given gas strong enough to knock me out, or at least enough to not remember any more then on before the actual anaesthetic.

I'm pretty much guaranteed to be undergoing more surgery in future, and i don't want to rely on temazepam again, iv read it's more of a sleep aid and hypnotic than a anxiety reducer, my sister has worse anxiety than me and takes diazepam but i haven't properly asked her about its effects yet.

Reason I panic before surgeries or procedures is like anyone would, i'm wondering which aid oothers have found useful. Maybe a 1-10 scale.

Thanks.

I don't have a huge amount of anxiety outside hospital, i mess my speech up from nervousness and am shy sometimes and am weary of dodgy looking people, but i can control that anxiety.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In my opinion and from what I've read is that Ativan is what they use around here and I've had plenty of panic attacks in the hospital and once that 1mg of ativan hits my system I am extremely calm, and by the time I get home I'm knocked out in bed. I hope this helps, all benzodiazepines work differently on people.
  • Posted

Ollie my benzodiazepine of choice is xanax. It's the only thing that helps me when I'm n a full blown anxiety attack. I took my benzo b4 my surgery last year and Idk what I would have done without it. None of the other benzos seem to help me any. My son takes klonopine and it helps him. everyone is sooo different.
  • Posted

xanax and ativanĀ  are the quickest 30 minutes , but addictive very quick
  • Posted

Thanks for the input people, next time I'm having surgery i may ask for one of those instead of temazepam. I wonder if there's a way doctors would let me sample each of the others to see which has most effect. Maybe get them when at a pre op, and try one every 48 hours, a couple weeks pre op or so would be a time when anxiety would be up. I just wouldn't want to get to a few hours pre op, choose one, then it not work and not be able to have anything else in fear of them reacting.

I'll ask my sister more about her diazepam too.

Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.