Which is the best anti depressant for anxiety? Please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered from anxiety since a child,and this recent and worst bout started in June. I was on Citalopram for 19 years,but the gp changed me to Sertraline 5 weeks ago. Due to chronic diarrhoea,it looks like I will have to try a different med. I have heard good things about Escitalopram,Mirtazapine or Venlafaxine....anyone tried those? Or can anyone recommend anything,please x

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why did u stop citalopram?
    • Posted

I went up to the highest dose,40mg and it just wasn't helping anymore :-(
    • Posted

Ahh I see sad I'm on citalopram told il b on it for life, I've heaRd ppl say lexapro is a cleaner version on cit and good for anxiety x
    • Posted

Thanks,that's what I've heard too,but a bit worried my gp won't let me have it,because it is more expensive than the others. Is Cipramil working for you? 
  • Posted

Effexor xr, as I've been on oodles over the years. Snri work better. Than ssri at least for me anyway. It gave me my life back going off crazy paxil. Going forward effexor, cymbalta, pristiq, fetzima are the newer better drugs with effexor the top. You won't know till you give it a try since were all different. Good luck😊
    • Posted

Thanks,it's good to hear that it's good for anxiety. Just feel scared to taper off one and start another again :-( Does Effexor xr work fairly quickly?
    • Posted

You'll be ok switching over to effexor xr. Worked quickly for my anxiety and panic and no side affects really. A good med. A difficult switch would be what I did going off paxil to effexor as paxil is brutal going off. Your other drug which I also tried will be easier. And then when you go from one snri to another it took me only a day and I'm fine.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info,and good to hear that it was quick for the anxiety and panic. 
    • Posted

Thing is with anti depressants, what suits one person may not suit another so difficult to  to advise.  I was on Effexor and it got rid of my anxiety and depression.  Very difficult to withdraw from though.  I do hope you find the right medication for you.
    • Posted

Thanks Anne,just so confused with it all. It's such a shame as Sertraline 100mg was working for the anxiety,but can't cope with the diarrhoea and insomnia. Now on 50mg and the anxiety is back :-(
  • Posted

That's a long time was it good Citalopram why u came of sorry can't help I'm not on meds other than xnax any feedback apreciate
    • Posted

Hi Nick,yes 19 years on Cipramil was a long time,but with this current bout of anxiety it just wasn't working anymore. It was almost like I had become immune to it.  
  • Posted

hi i take 50mg sertraline in morning and 15mg mirtz i researched it and found the mirtz takes away the side effects of sertraline away RESULT! i spoke with my gp he was impressed i knew so much ha! we know more than gps sometimes and he agreed and gave me this mix and works great! hope this helps. julie
    • Posted

i take the 15mg mirtz at night 
    • Posted

Interesting as my doctors all of them over the years all said the same thing, I believe it called remeron also, but no one would even give that as an option as they couldn't do that and turn me into a sedated zombie with no quality of life. Another Dr recently said this to me. I appreciate the honesty as I love life and do not want to set indoors in front of tv every day.thats not me. I go out and love people and life and want to be energetic and happy. I guess were all different.
    • Posted

Hi Julie,that's really interesting about the mirtz,what side effects did you have with Sertraline? 
    • Posted

hi i would sweat and sleeping wasnt great on sertraline i dont have these side effects now :-)
    • Posted

That's good news,wonder if it would work with the runs? Glad you have meds that work for you 😊
    • Posted

Sertraline disrupts sleep bad. Not good. As I tried taking it at different times with no results and going two weeks up with no sleep. Dr took me right off. You have better options available and to keep adding meds isn't good either. You'll be a zombie
    • Posted

Hi. Those were my doctors words to me over and over when insurances give you meds they want you to try. And they go through them to me in detail. I had an old past Dr. Do this to me as I couldn't stay awake past 6pm. And me myself do not want that again. Yes were all different but I appreciate the Dr (s) I have currently and there honesty with me and my situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.