Which is the GFR to start blood work for transplant

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi 

In case of a planned transplant, what is the lowest GFR % one should wait to go for a transplant without dialysis. How many days/months will take to do all blood work for transplant matching in same blood group.

I have heard the dialysis will harm other body organs and create complication in later stage near to transplant. 

Thank you, 

CS

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Colombia,

I can't answer many of your questions. But I do know that lots of patients go onto dialysis while waiting for a transplant. In addition, in my transplant education class they said that PD dialysis was the better dialysis option for those awaiting a transplant.

PD apparently sustains more of your remaining renal function and is easier on your cardiac system than HD dialysis. Again, this is according to the information they shared in the transplant education class my nephrologist sent me to.

It is also very different depending upon whether you will be receiving a living donor kidney or a deceased donor kidney.

In the US you've pretty much got to be in Stage V, renal failure, before they would consider a transplant, I believe. If you have a living donor you are more likely to receive the transplant without dialysis. And the wait time for the surgery is much shorter--you don't have to wait for a matching deceased donor kidney to become available.

Marj

• Posted

A very interesting question, one I am, unfortunately, unable to answer.

My GFR is now at 4 and I am convinced that any attempt at dialysis of either kind would merely exacerbate my symptoms and make my life worse than it is at present.

I am still able to move around the house, with some difficulty I admit, to get to Mass on Sundays and to meet friends usually on a weekly basis. I also attend a hospice where they are very loving and caring and help make the end days easier.

God bless you and guide you to the right decision for you.

bert

• Posted

Bert,

I so appreciate you open and honest comments. They have helped me process through my own thinking about renal failure care options.

I read a post from you a day after my first appointment with my current nephrologist in August of 2017. That post, in particular, really helped me to think through all of this much more clearly than I had previously. It was a wonderful gift for me!

You're in my thoughts.

Marj

• Posted

Thanks all, it seems like difficult question to answer. I have heard there are about 100+ blood test are needed to check the matching from a living donor. I am interested to know the time period for checking all of the matching tests. I am at 38% GFR rate now and in age 46, its stable for 6 months now. Regards, CS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.