Which Magnesium?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

Over the past 2/3 months i have been taking Floradix liquid magnesium. I take 20ml after food as directed every morning then within 1 to 2 hours i have tummy ache and an upset tummy. Then i am fine until the next morning.

So i need to try a different one. I know from past topics that magnesium oxide is pretty much a waste of money.

Do any of you lovely ladies have a make ect that you swear by?

Thank you

xx

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I can recommend - Osteocare original by Vitabiotics it has (Calcium-Magnesium-D3 & Zinc) I take this in the evening. The tablet is a bit large but I manage! I have been on these for at least 6 months & wouldnt do with out them. They have helped my muscle & bone pain that I had!

Hope this helps?

• Posted

Thanks Barbara at the moment i take calcium and vit, but i will keep it in mind when i finish what i have already. x
  • Posted

PS:-

I always take the In the evening I take Osteocare in the evening! 

• Posted

Hi Mrs D 

i take Solgar Chelated magnesium 

jay x

• Posted

Take Magnesium Supplements

The RDA (the minimum amount needed) for magnesium is about 300 mg a day. Most of us get far less than 200 mg.

Some may need much more depending on their condition.

Most people benefit from 400 to 1,000 mg a day.

The most absorbable forms are magnesium citrate, glycinate taurate, or aspartate, although magnesium bound to Kreb cycle chelates (malate, succinate, fumarate) are also good.

Avoid magnesium carbonate, sulfate, gluconate, and oxide. They are poorly absorbed (and the cheapest and most common forms found in supplements).

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to magnesium glycinate.

Most minerals are best taken as a team with other minerals in a multi-mineral formula.

Taking a hot bath with Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is a good way to absorb and get much needed magnesium.

• Posted

I had to change to Solgar Chelated magnesium as i too was running to the loo every morning i was taking the ones that cause laxative effects before .

now all fine fine again 😃

jay x

• Posted

i think i will pick up some mag citrate from H&B and stop with the floradix liquid now.

thanks for your help as always xx

• Posted

Hi Jay

I've just seen that H&b do a chelates magnesium! It's says its 5mg & to take 2 a day. What are your thoughts on the mg? Would it just be a waste of money?

I've been taking the mag citrate for the past 3 weeks & I'm really not feeling the benefits. I loved the floradix I felt much calmer & less anxiety but could not cope with the tummy issues...anxiety is doing my head in at the minute! I seem to be losing it over the slightest thing!

Take cae

MrsD xx

• Posted

Hi

I take Solgar Chelated Magnesium 100mg twice or three times a day .

Jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay

Looking online for the ones you mention. does in come in a bottle of 100 and say to take 4 a day??

Thanks

MrsD xx

• Posted

Metagenics powdered magnesium is the best on the market not toxic and recommended by naturopaths I take 1 scoop am and 1 scoop pm before bed and it's been fine feel so much better my nails have come good too😃
    • Posted

Hi 

yes thats chelated in powder form, it is very good, i prefer tablet form 

jay x

• Posted

I meant i prefer chelated tablet form ..

chelated is best 😊

jay x

• Posted

Hi there, I'm so pleased you've posted this problem, I've been taking the same Floradix, caused me terrible Ibs symptoms on top of my menopausal troubles, didn't link these problems to Floradix, so thanks again ladies xxxx
    • Posted

sorry Jeanette i have only just seen your comment. I stopped using the floradix and have had not problems with my tummy since. I had purchased 3 new bottles of the stuff and luckily Boots let me return it. I am now on the magnesium citrate from H&B hopefully that will be better. Hope you are feeling better xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.