Which Magnesium?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

well the Rheumatologist confirmed Fibro. But, he basically said its a psychological condition and I will get better (I've had symptoms for over 2 years)  He then discharged me back to the care of my GP. As you can imagine I am not impressed!! So now it's pretty much down to me to find something to help. Lots of people on here recommend Magnesium but I've found several different types so am wondering which one and at what dosage do you recommend?

thanks in advance

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

plain old Epsom salts is your best bet.  Easily and cheaply bought almost anywhere - add a couple of cups to bath water - great for pain relief, reducing bruising and swelling and clearing clogged pores too.
  • Posted

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant which magnesium supplement. I have the magnesium oil, and I use magnesium flakes in a foot spa but I really can't get in and out of a bath at the moment. There are several different types, magnesium oxide, magnesium stearate, magnesium malate, magnesium citrate and cherated magnesium. Which is why I am unsure
  • Posted

I use Boots Calcium Magnesium and Vitamin D. It's a single capsule. I take six a day, RDA is two. I'm told if your body has too much Magnesium you get diahorrea so that will be the warning if you take too many.  Calcium is important as it is symbiotic with Magnesium. If you don't mind my saying so, the Rheumatologist you saw sounds like a plonker. 
    • Posted

I was told he was very good so you can imagine how I felt when he said yes you have Fibromyalgia and that it was a psychological illness and I would recover from it soon. Thankyou for the advice I'll be off to Boots in the morning
    • Posted

Hi Daisydo;   Perhaps if I give you a little of my history, you may feel as if you can see where the Fibro does come from, and if you can relate any of my life to your's...you may be able to get some other treatments, and may get better????   I feel my health problems started after nursing my Terminally ill father ( and yes, I gave him his final injection....I was the Registered Nurse in the family, so all thought, that as Dad wanted to die at  home, that I could do it...be the 24 hour nurse..and I also had 4 of my children sick with Chicken pox at the same time....in other words, "it was a very emotional and tiring time" ).....I then went straight back to my work as "running a quite busy ED in a large hospital....no time to grieve.   Then the same happened  again when my mother passed....and then progressed to having internal family issues, with 2 daughters going through rather "hard divorces...both with children involved...and one of those children we (my husband and myself) had bought up as our's, as her mother was only turning 19 when she was born....So yes, I do feel Fibro comes on my Extreme Emotional Situations....Perhaps if I had found a good Psychologist in those days, I may not have got soooo bad...howeve; from  my  pain experiences, decreased levels of ability and  from what I have read, I don't think Fibro does go away (I've been unwell for 20+ years)...and does need to be treated with medications. I really rely on my physio and other "self treatments"...I take Amitrityline ( I started on 10 mgs, but have now had to increase to 35 mgs daily) and Gabapentin (also keep valium for when my muscles become tooo stiff).. I also take Magnesium tabs (1000 mgs daily) and anything that will keep my Immunity better, plus the Epsom Salts bath soaks......when your family/friends learn how you are, and learn what you need from them in support...life becomes ok...I feel that for you not to get "worse"...other parts of your body going (which I found with each major stressor....even moving house can be a stressor enough)....talk to a god psychologist every time you have to face another issue in your life (I prefer a Psychologist, as I have found them more "on our level"..), but please don't feel "it's all in your head", because IT'S NOT...it is a physical condition...a result where our bodies' are telling us that we have put TOO much onto them.....has/does this help you...I realize I may have made you feel "b...hell", but I know that if someone had told me things in the Very beginning...I may have done things differently (also may not have....as some of us also have Personality traits that cannot be changed)...please let me know if I have helped, as I would hate to think that I have made things worse for you.....Bron
    • Posted

Give them a try but a couple of words of caution. One person on these forums said the tablets made her feel worse and very tired. I think this may have been a reaction with meds. The only prescribed one I take is amitriptyline and there is no reaction with that.  Also, remember that as with many supplements, it can take time for you to feel an effect. Like others here I take Epsom Salts baths. I buy the 15kg bags on Ebay for about £15.
  • Posted

Hi Daisydo, can't believe that a Rhumo would say that to you....grrr...maybe he needs to write a research paper on Fibro being cured..mmm.. it's the first I've heard....I've had it 24 years now, but wouldn't it be nice a real miracle..I've heard of it going into remission for years..I know someone that hasn't has any symptoms for years..I take double the recommended dose of magnesium tabs and vitamin d3 as many do...Epson Salts-Magnesium baths are really good too..I use lots of hot water bottles...,hydrotherapy and a sauna..apart from.....Amitriptilyne 25 mg a night..hope you GP knows all about Fibro..if not take your health in your own hands and research it on google there are lots of reputable sites out there...hope all gioes well for you..be blessed and have a lovely day..:-) xx
  • Posted

Hi Daisy

I take Chelated magnesium but you need to check with your GP if it is okay for you, not recommended for certain medical conditions or stages of life. Apparently if Breast feeding, diabetic, crones disease, etc. If you look up on the net What the daily requirements are for your age you will find the appropriate dosage to take! It would be good to combine with appropriate dose of calcium.

I am allergic to dairy products so I find it hard to get appropriate amounts of these. I also take vitamin D. I find they all help with my insomnia, not cure but help.

All the best

meg

• Posted

Hi Daisydo, I found the simplest explanation of fibro came from the consultant at the Pain Clinic who diagnosed me & described it as 'the nervous system firing off random pain signals to the brain' so that your brain tells you e.g. that your back is painful, but there isn't necessarily anything wrong in your back to cause the pain. Maybe this rheumy you saw thinks that anything to do with the nervous system is psychological! xx
    • Posted

I've heard that too...that's very interesting about the Rhumo thinking nervous system and problems with it being psychological..:-) xx
  • Posted

Dear Daisy.

Forget about that rheumatologist. You've got the diagnosis so you don’t need him anymore. If you ever again need to go to a rheumatologist try to find another one.  He’s ignorant and is not informed about the most updated science that is BTW all available online. The last thing we is people saying that it’s “all in your head” making you look attention seeking crazy.

Anyway, the magnesium I take is Magnesium Pidolate 1500mg once or twice a day depending on how bad I feel.  However I know that one of the best forms of magnesium is Magnesium Orotate that has a higher bioavailability.

I believe the dose should be lower here.  Take care. Warm regards.

• Posted

I found this site, I am so pleased. It is very difficult to deal with doctors, who tell you that this illness is psicological. On the other hand, he told you that you will get better. Some Drs know their  words are powerful message and if     you  get obsess thinking  things over and over again you can make your condition worse. I take magnesium phosforicum together with calcium.
  • Posted

I was told by my pain clinic to use magnesium malate 1000mg. I'm going to switch to that from citrate. Magnesium has helped me immensely

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.