Which Nutrition Foods for Alzheimers

Posted , 5 users are following.

According to the Alzheimer's Association, 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, and it is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States and the fifth-leading cause of death in those aged 65 and older.Age and family history/genetics are major risk factors, but emerging research is suggesting that lifestyle factors including diet and exercise can also plan an important role in prevention.

Eating a heart healthy diet like the DASH diet or the Mediterranean diet is essential, as brain health and heart health are very closely related.

Here are a few other things you should consider.

Up your E. Vitamin E is a very potent anti-oxidant and appears to play a role in staving off Alzheimer's. Research shows that those with the highest amounts in their diet (from food, not supplements), have a significantly lower risk of Alzheimer's disease.

Top food sources include sunflower and safflower oil, nuts and seeds (almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, hazelnuts) and green vegetables including broccoli and spinach. Make sure to consume green vegetables with a little healthy fat to maximize the absorption of vitamin E.

Go for fish. Getting adequate amounts of poly-unsaturated omega 3 fatty acids found in fish is associated with a lower risk of Alzheimer's disease. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which is present in larger amounts in the brain, appears to be particularly important.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it's really nice to read your article and I think this is good message for those who leave every thing for losing their fate. so I also suggest them to don't do that this is not a healthy activity for your own health.
  • Posted

I recently heard about Lion's Mane to help with memory. Does any one have information on that?
  • Posted

Green tea has been proven in a couple of recent studies to have a positive effect and stop the tangles and plaques forming.

I also think bio active b vitamins can help - particularly the bio active form of b 12.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.