Which physical activity can help cure PF?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey people, 

I'm new to the forum , a 31 y.o. male from Israel who suffers from PF for 6 months. 

Which sport do you think can help with PF? 

I've heared that maybe yoga or pilates or swimming, do you know?

Thanks,

Dima. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What helped me is this exercise. Go to a stairway that has a railing you can hold on to. Put your toes on the step but leave your heels off of it. Then go up on your toes and down so that your heels feel a stretch. It made a big difference for me.

I also find that when I wear heavier socks it doesn't come back, but when I walk barefooted, I can get that same pain. 

• Posted

Armchair sport is the best option, rest and cushioning of the heel is the only real answer with stretching exercises to stretch tight calf muscles. At your age it is most likely you have strained or torn the pf tissue so rest and cushioning is the only answer, in otherwords you have overdone the sport thing give it a rest and time to heal
  • Posted

I don't think swimming will help at all but I did spend time in an hot tub with the jets right on my heel. I also stretched my PF while in the hot tub. I do think that helped a lot. Resting will likely do more harm than good. It should be obvious, but don't do anything that hurts and might make it worse. I like the toes on the stairs. You need to gently stretch the PF. The reason why it is so painful in the morning is that the PF retracts while you sleep and when you get up to walk and suddenly stretch, it it traumatizes the PF. If you can figure out different ways to stretch it during the day and possibly at night, you will improve. Cushioning is important. Whatever exercise you choose, get good arch supports which gently stretch the PF while you walk. You will likely need to do this for the rest of your life . Take NSAIDS and try everything. We are all a little different and there is no one solution for everyone. With the right combination, I cured mine 95% in 6 weeks but I still continue to stretch and use good arch supports and cushioned socks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.