which procedure?

Posted , 6 users are following.

How did aanyone decide which procedure to have? I can't decide which is best for me??

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

100% would NOT reccommend a band. If i could go back id choose a sleeve.

Nothing but worry and maintenance with the band,

The bypass and sleeve are for life.

• Posted

I do want it to be permanent & the sleeve sounds good as it is cconstant restriction. Thanks for that.
  • Posted

Hi I regret the band coz u have to chew if not you'll vomit.

Not a easy option after all. It cost me 7,000 for the band couldn't afford the sleeve which was 10,000

• Posted

Ive had my band since jan. No weight loss, no restriction whatsover. And now my port has flipped. Had a fill under xray apparently filling up my 10ml band to the top. No difference at all. Dont even feel like ive go a band in me 😣
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel.

I know the guides said that you have to work with the band but how can you work with something you can't feel.

A lot of people are saying that they can't eat as much or certain foods but I have never had that restriction.

• Posted

I had a bit of restriction in the beginning, but only as in i hAd to chew chew chew. Now i can eAt anything i like and im supposed to have 11ml in my 10ml band. Work that one out!

Noone told me how bad this would all be, the worry, the waiting, the time between fills, that basically you may as well throw your thousands of £ in the bin 😡

• Posted

Yeh doesn't quite tally does it 11 in 10 lol.

I hope we both start managing it a bit better. Mines 3 years too late already sad

• Posted

I wanted the bypass for quicker weight loss but was given the band on the day because the surgeons thought it would be better for me.

Had no joy after constant requests for fill n being told to go home n try eating less etc.

Then when a fill was agreed they couldn't access portsite and was told it would need to be filled under xray. After constant wait for appointment was told portsite needed adjustment (apparently wasn't in the right place) had the portsite adjustment last month.

So 3 years after having original band fitted I'm no lighter and health is worse.

If you can have the bypass. Other people I know who had their surgery same time as me have lost loads with it and got a new life.

• Posted

Just goes to show that you know your body better than they do.
  • Posted

Hi Greg

It took me a lot of research to finally come to a decision.

Had I only needed to loose 3-4 stones I think I would have gone for the gastric balloon as it's less invasive and costs less.

I eventually went for the gastric band as it was adjustable and if I change my mind in the future I have the option to reverse the operation.

My friends brother went for the bypass and has started to put the weight back on after 5yrs as his stomach is stretching again.

I'm only on my second band fill but have already felt restrictions so am slowly loosing weight (31lbs since end of march).

No surgical option is easy as I am sure you are aware, the mind still wants to eat eat eat but the body had other ideas. A lot to get your head around.

I think I made the right decision for me and it was affordable.

I have another 7 stones to loose but hopefully it should only take about 2yrs to reach my goal weight.

My advice would be to talk to people who have had the procedures and ask about pros and cons of each surgery. It's good to get the opinions of those who have had it done both recently and for a few years to get a wider perspective.

Good luck with your decision

Kindest regards

Lissa

• Posted

I mean this with 100% respect, but surely if your friend's brother is starting to put weightback on. Maybe hhe has started over eating again? I'm glad it's working out for you and I'm sure you will reach your goals. Good luck.
    • Posted

I think you're right Greg.

I have read that this has happened to others as well.

😕

• Posted

I had the band since April 12th 2014 only lost a stone.

I don't have restriction but if I eat like bread or sticky dry foods like pasta I vomit even chicken breast, lamb steak can't eat it.

I lost 45kg with diet and exercise in 2012, hard work paid off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.