Which Procedure Is The Most Successful? TUNA, TURP, Urlift, etc

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just had a foley removed after an emergency room visit last week where I had 1 liter of uring drained.            

Haver been taking terazosin for 3 yrs and just started finasteride. slight stinging when urinating but getting better.   

My prostate is abiut 40 grams and will consider surgery if things get much wore worse. Many choices to pick from  and not sure which one. My Dr @ University of Washington (Seattle, USA).

Have taken terazosin 10 mg for 3 years and just started finasteride 8mg. Sitting in the hot tub helsp and am watching my diet.   Cutting out vodka for awhile to see any changes. NO to red wine.    

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There are more modern drugs which may help. Finasteride does take a while ~ 6 months even ~ to kick in.  It may help a lot but it does have side effects [retrograde ejaculations, growing breasts and hair growth on head].  Sadly I have not got the last two!

Harvard have done an intersting study so if you google harvard - tamsulosin - finasteride you may come up with it. A bit wordy but reasonably easy to read

• Posted

I had TUNA about 4 years ago. Immediately after I had a serious retention issue and had to go the ER to have 2 liters removed via cath. I got better over some weeks but within 2 years my symptoms worsened and I was on Flomax which made me feel terrible. As someone else said, PAE gave me my life back.
  • Posted

Reff51. You can read my post on this Forum in another discussion about my PAE procedure. As I mentioned there. It has truly given me my life back. After only two weeks my symptoms are almost nil and I am not taking any of those awful prostate medicines. The worst I took was Finesteride ( never again!!!!)
  • Posted

I had a PAE back on Sept. 10th of 2014.  Not real happy with outcome.  Before the surgery I was getting up 4 times a night and now its 3 times a night.  Still kinda frustrated but atleast off the 2 castration drugs of Avodart and tansulosin. 
  • Posted

I had traditional TURP recently.  You can read my post on it.  It was more of an ordeal than I anticipated, and I would lean towards one of the newer procedures (laser) if your doctor recommends it.  I think that it is worthwhile to have a procedure and get off the medications.  
  • Posted

Reff   Had a urolift 4 weeks ago.  Peeing great on  no meds.  It was a easy surgery and very little down time.  Look up the information on all and you have to see what is best for you.  Read about the surgery and the side effect on all of them  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.