Which tests did the doctor used to diagnose your IBS? Worried!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I have an appointment with GP tomorrow to see if I have IBS. I'm feeling very stressed out, I've had symptoms since the end of May. I've been feeling gassy right after eating, frequent urges to go, feeling relief after emptying my stomach and then feeling of incomplete evacuation. The stool is never normal again in terms of shape of consistency -it's neither constipation or liquid but very mushy but my rectal area feels very strained and irritated afterwards. No blood in stool and the color is normal to light, just a lot of undigested pieces. It also varies from day to day, one day I will pass just one stool and feel almost normal but the next day will go around three times and never a normal solid poop and only a little bit will come out! I'm terrified of what tests they will offer to do. I cannot have a colonoscopy and refuse other invasive procedures and I know that first thing they do is insist on a colonoscopy ! What tests did your doctor conduct to diagnose and confirm IBS? Can I avoid a colonoscopy and get an MRI or a CAT scan instead to rule out any abnormalities?

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I do manage to go to the dentist to avoid my teeth looking awful although at a tremendous emotional price. When I go back to Eastbourne, I will need a crown to fix a tooth that cracked just before I left and was too late to get put right. Goodness knows what the optician will say though since I have put that off for years.

• Posted

you be brave, imagine them naked was a trick told to me by someone else years back oh and cake afterwards.

• Posted

If I could conquer the fears I have built up and stop developing work arounds to continue putting of the inevitable, I would probably get these things dealt with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.