which would be the Best Antidepressant to help during menopause?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So i have been battling depression and now pretty debilitating anxiety for about 8 months now.

Battling against going on an antidepressant as ive tried one- zoloft and hated it- lasted 3 days. Tried trazadone - 1 night- 25 mg, and was zombie liike the next day

So for these reasons I am really resistant to starting an antidepressant because of intolerance (i believe anyways) and simply because depression is new for me now that im 53 and menopausal.

Prior- i never had anxiety nor depression, just normal mood swings.

Are there any women out there who have truly benefitted from any particular AD that you really felt worked?

Im challenged by sleep also this is a biggie, so i truly dont know which one to ask for.

Im in the medical field, and the doc knows that im noncompliant so hes a little irritated that im not doing anything about it and im suffering 

big time..i mean its day to day with the anxiety harsh anxiety in my chest, and the lowest of moods..now and then i get a lift and im normal, then i sink down again.

My confusion is that i know its all hormonal but then again the hormones are responsible maybe to a degree of the management and production of the neurotransmitters.

Help if anyone has suggestions.

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi, As a ex-Fluoxetine taker do all you can to keep away from SSRIs, your overall health will be much better in the long run, force a smile, sing a little song, ring a friend, don't resort to poison, John.

• Posted

Hi john i have just started flu and i am feel rubbish. I am just wondering what ur experience was in irder for u to be against them xxx
    • Posted

Just look at the side possible side effects, I have now pulled my neck out of the sand and the only medications I will take are essential, the safest available, and strictly prescribed by my doctor end of, think long and hard please. My experience was being left on Flu; for 30+ years, lack of correct reviews, and a nightmare withdrawal, nuf said.
    • Edited

Wow

So many years on this. Im reading alot and most of the AD info is pretty scary.What i dont understand is that many people take them and it helps them alot so ??

Do you still have depression? I dont think that singing a song will hep me out of tis as it quite takes your life a way wouldnt you say? 

I mean..i went from feeling balanced and normal, no real depression to THIS? 

HOw do you manage now?

• Posted

I really appreciate ur input john its helpful to hear peoples stories. I was goven them for post natal depression and health anxiety. I didnt seem to be aboe to get things under control on my own but im only taking just iver 10mg and i plan to inly take it for a short time. The side effects are awful tho xxx
  • Posted

Hi, I have been prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for perimenopause symptoms. Been on it about 8weeks now and I think it’s helping me, I kind of feel more on an even keel, not ecstatically happy but the bubbling rage in me has disappeared! Hope that makes sense, it was a horrible feeling. Side effects, currently I feel quite tense and regularly need to consciously relax my body which feels a bit weird, I’ve had a few other side effects but nothing major and not serious enough to make me want to stop taking them. Hope you get some relief soon from your symptoms, I can certainly empathise!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.