While we're on the subject of sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Something I get (not very often thank goodness) is what I think is called sleep paralysis.  You are asleep, but you think you are awake if you know what I mean.  It feels like you are suffocating and can't breathe at all. After what seems like ages, you do wake up.  When I have these attacks, I think the end has come. It is an awful thing to experience. You are totally paralysed.  It is apparently harmless, but still nasty

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes Angela,I get all those feelings too,only quite frequently.It is very scary,but I seem to function reasonably well during the day.I must say that if I DONT take a Zopiclone to get to sleep,those symptoms seem much worse,so I carry on with the pills although I would give anything to have a normal night's sleep without them.
  • Posted

Yeah i used to get that in my early twenties on a regular basis. Its a very odd experience. Its your brain not connecting with your body. Its very common.
  • Posted

This is fairly common, and in years gone by it was attributed to something paranormal!  Of course we know better nowadays.  Google old hag syndrome.

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link with a suggested Google search rather than a specific website.

• Posted

I used to have this more when I was younger not so much no.w but I know what your talking about, as well as feeling paralysed you often hear noises - I think it's when your brain wakes up before your body

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.