White blood cells and Benepali

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, so been to see GP today about blood test results white blood cell count had dropped out the Normal range I reckon probably down to Benepali, but the very latest blood test shows WCC back in the normal range so that's o.k. but turns out iron store depleted so I'm anaemic so having to take iron tablets which give me gut trouble, and I need vitamin B 12 supplement, these are the pleasures of having RA.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Pleased to hear your WCC has returned to within the normal range.  Iron tablets caused me problems too so I was given an infusion.  I wonder if this is something you could ask about? 
    • Posted

Hi, yes GP did mention injections but reckons he might get in trouble if going down that route, so I'm getting 100 iron capsules, take one in the morning and one at night, can't wait lol, I have IBS so I'm in for some fun and games probably.

• Posted

I don't envy you this!  I have Crohn's disease so, like you, the iron capsules are tricky! I think they made me so poorly, an infusion was the only sensible solution.  Unfortunately, the system requires you try the cheaper option first!  I hope you tolerate them without too much gastro drama! 

• Posted

happy to hear that your WBC are back in the normal range.  Sorry that anemia is present.   Iron is very hard on the gastrointestional system.   I live in US and I do recall having heard ferrous gluconate is easier on stomach than ferrous sulfate.  But I don't know if used in other countries.    I did read that your  body can adjust to the iron and your GI tract will slowly improve.  That being said  I don't know if in fact that is true.     Hope you can tolerate it or they switch to an iron med. that is better tolerated

• Posted

Hi it's not particularly the iron in my blood it's the iron store that has been depleted, so GP reckons got to do something sooner than later, I've had iron before and give me some gut problems, so its between a rock and a hard place so to speak.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.