White blood cells and glucose in urine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 40 male, 5'8", 140lb, white, British.

I've been experiencing frequent urination but no other symptoms. I went to the doctors today and they gave me a urine test.

She said there were traces of glucose and white blood cells in my urine. She has asked me to go in for a blood test and I think a Prostate psa test.

I'm worried it could be something serious?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Bflare,

I am not a doctor either but according to Google white blood cells or leukocytes can mean either a urinary track infection or irritation of the urethra that is not due to an infection.If you have a urinary infection it may progress within a day or two until you have a temperature and your urine smells bad. You should collect your urine in a container preferably a measuring cup. If it smells bad or gets cloudy, see a doctor as soon as possible for more testing, urine culture, and a possible antibiotic prescription. Beware of after hours and weekends because it could happen when your doctor's office is closed (usually does). Then you may have to go to an Urgent care, or Emergency clinic.

Don't know about the glucose, perhaps it's just a temporary thing, but your doctor is right to get blood tests.

Good luck,

Thomas

• Posted

HI Bflare

i agree with the others about a possible urinary tract infection ( Uti) although it could also indicate diabetes , do you have any other symptoms , weight loss , thirsty ? if you are worried some chemists here in the Uk will do a simple finger prick test for you to check your blood glucose for diabetes.

• Posted

Hi there. I have no other symptoms apart from needing to wee a little bit more frequest. Apart from that nothing.

• Posted

I wouldnt panic , your symptoms are mild . only traces of glucose and white blood cells you say.

Hopefully a simple Uti. GP is doing the right thing. Try and find someone like your local chemist or someone with diabetes to test your blood with a simple finger prick on their blood glucose machine , to rule that out. im diabetic myself and i suspect you would have more than just a trace of glucose in you urine ., -and you would likely have other symptoms ,,very unlikely it is anything more sinister . Gp has to do their job and rule things out .

let us know how you get on

• Posted

I agree with unklefester. Elevanted white blood cells can indicate infection. If the urologist thinks the same then he will Rx antibiotics.

Nothing to worry there.

But if the antibiotics don't do squat (as was in my case) in 14 days, THEN other possibilities should be investigated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.