White blood cells and platelets

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Lupus friends. I was wondering if someone could answer a question regarding some of my blood work. Last July I went to the ER because I was experiencing chest pain which felt like a band wrapped around my chest squeezing. At that time I had no idea I may be suffering from autoimmune illness. I was dismissed the next day saying I just had anxiety or GERD. After a recent flare involving my rib cage I begin to wonder if that episode could have been also a flare. Upon checking my blood work during the hospitalization I noticed that on the first day all of my blood work was perfect and on the second day my white blood cells dropped from 6.4 to 3.4, my neutrophils dropped from 4.5 to 1.5, and my platelets dropped from 151 to 1:39. My sister thought that this could have been from dilution from when they gave me fluids however I have never had any drop in My Blood values ever during surgeries or hospitalizations. I know that red blood cells can be washed out but had not heard of white blood cells being affected does anyone have any medical knowledge enough to know whether or not this could be an indication of a flare or if it is just from dilution. Thank you very much in advance for any insights. I have recently been put on 40 mg a day of Prednisone due to severe inflammation which is not get diagnosed but is thought to be autoimmune. I am looking for some evidence of Prior autoimmune changes in blood work, and would like to be able to point this out to my doctor but don't want to do so if it is not significant. Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sjogern's can cause white blood cell's to attack saliva and tear duct glands, and cause low white blood cell count. its a autoimmune disease which is long term can effect all organs, I have it plus thyroid, and rheumatoid arthritis.the Prednisone will help with the inflammation, get more lab's done, I went to many Doctors over four years before I got diagnosed,  best of luck to you.

• Posted

Well that's amazing do you mind me asking how you were finally diagnosed and what criteria they used,? I am also worried that there prednisone will make the lab results invalid, as it reduces information they would be looking for. I will keep trying and thank you for the encouragement. It is good to know that is sometimes worth the effort to continue trying despite being turned away many times. Thanks again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.