White blood cells in urine but no infection - other symptoms also present

Posted , 3 users are following.

I gave birth 12 weeks ago. A few days after giving birth I began to feel very poorly. I ignored it at the time because I put it down to my body trying to return to normal. I didn't have anything like this with my first child. After 2 weeks of suffering I eventually took myself to the hospital where I ended up being admitted. My urine dip test showed positive for several things and the Dr found an abnormal growth on my cervix whilst doing an internal examination. Swabs were done, my urine sample was sent to the lab to be tested further and I was discharged from hospital with a 3 day course of antibiotics. I finished the course and was still feeling unwell so went to see my GP who prescribed a week course of another antibiotic to treat what he thought was a UTI (this urine sample was also sent off for further testing). I then got my results which showed that there was no urinary tract infection and no water infection so I was at a loss as to what was going on. I decided to go private and was diagnosed by a gynae consultant with endometritis and suspected placenta being left behind after birth. He told me I needed a scan and referred me back to the NHS. He also prescribed yet another different antibiotic- this time a 2 week course. Once I finished this course I took another urine sample to the Doctors and surprise there were white blood cells again, yet again sent to the lab and no infection. The doctor advised me to continue dipping urine at home to see if the white blood cells went. 12 weeks on they are still present in my urine. Several other samples have been sent to the lab all with the same result. I have my pelvic and kidney scans tomorrow. I just wondered if anyone had had anything similar and could shed some light on what could be wrong? I have convinced myself that I have ovarian cancer as I also have lost 3 stone in 12 weeks (I have always struggled to lose weight), have severe pelvic pains and bloated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your pain and frustration. I have interstitial cystitis, or painful bladder syndrome, and have recently read about chronic uti, which sounds a lot like your situation. I've been researching it to ask my urogynecologist about it and most of the sources are actually British-you might want to look it up online and then ask you're doctor(s) if it's possible. I hope you find answers and feel better soon?

• Posted

Keep going back to Doctor. Testing is often inadequate, a problem for UTIs. If they say you have no infection and you have white blood cells there is some kind of infection. Just go back to the doctor. Good luck
    • Posted

If you have a chronic UTI there is only one person to go to Prof Malone-Lee or get yourself referred to the Whittington Hospital in London. Best of luck
    • Posted

Hi Nicola

I have been assured that I don't have an infection anywhere. I had my scan this morning and the sonographer told me that everything looked normal so I am still none the wiser. I have to wait to see the doctor now in a week and they are then sending me for further testing to try and get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Abbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.