White coat hypertension?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

It all started with a horrible head ache for two days, followed by head pressure, and severe neck pain that made me go to the ER. I had a CT scan of my head and all that was found was a sphenoid cyst on the right incidentally. Dr said that he thinks it is just a tension headache and gave me Iv medication . I still have head pressure constantly for about 3 weeks and a week ago I had 2 episodes of vertigo but none since. I went to my pcp and explained to her about my symptoms and we were trying to figure out what was wrong since I haven't had any health issues so far (23 year old female) . She checked my blood pressure a few times. Every time she did it was consistently 139/90. She thinks the symptoms I'm having are related to my high BP and started me on medication called labetalol . She is having me record my readings at home with a store bought cuff. I haven't taken the medication yet and have been checking my BP 3 times a day for 5 days and all of them come out normal (100-120)/(65-74). I haven't taken the medication yet because I'm afraid that it will make me have hypotension since my levels are normal. Could I have actual hypertension or is this white coat hypertension? Then I wonder if maybe my BP cuff is wrong too because it's weird how everytime I get it done at the Dr it is 139/90 but at home for almost a week it is normal. Not sure what to do with this, I see her in a week for follow up. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Try to take it three days a week at different times of the day for a couple of weeks.  You can also bring your home BP unit to your GP to compare a reading with their office unit to make sure yours is good.
  • Posted

Hello Beth,

​Take Your new Cuff WITH YOU to your Upcoming Visit.  Have them take BP with your and theirs and compare to ensure your is Accurate.  WC Syndrome is common.  BTW, Pain causes elevated BP.  Concentrate on determining the cause of the Headaches. The elevated BP is not that Big of a Deal based on your readings for the short time and at your young age.  Good Luck!  Ernie

• Posted

quoting beth

"Then I wonder if maybe my BP cuff is wrong too because it's weird how everytime I get it done at the Dr it is 139/90 but at home for almost a week it is normal. Not sure what to do with this, I see her in a week for follow up. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!"

yesterday i got the nurse at the practice to give me a BP check

i settled down and relaxed in the seat for 5 minutes, clearing my head and got a reading of 145/90 which was what it was a month ago...

we got chatting about the value of getting a home monitor to which she said many patients did have them but they got a bit neurotic taking the readings every few minutes...or so

she said to take them every hour under the same conditions and log them and she would have a look at them next month.

so after another 5 minutes she took another BP reading...155/94!!

i remarked why that could be and she said it could be because were were talking etc...??

as it happens the monitor the clinic uses is one i had envisaged buying which is battery but also comes with a mains adaptor..beint the

Omron M6 AC ME Automatic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with UK Adaptor Plug

the advantage here is that she said to bring it with me next month and she will use it along with the clinics in a side by side test and synchronise it to suit

i assume theirs are synchronised regularly as required by the British Hypertension Society.

really though i wish i didnt have to go through all this...as we all are.

cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.