White Coat Syndrome (Again) Someone taking my pulse????

Posted , 2 users are following.

OK, I've got a very bad case of WCS. Have had it since childhood, 30 some odd years now. Been there done that. My question and comment is this: Suppose you know that at Dr.s visit that no-one is going to take your BP. You've established that the number is asinine and has no clinical relevance and they have agreed to leave the pressure cuff in it's holder. So if that was me, would be fine and all. Knowing they're going to take my pulse and listen to my heart causes same physiological response as having BP taken. After that is done, I'm fine. Perfectly calm, no anxiety. None what so ever. I don't care if I'm getting a rectal, huge shot, multiple huge shots, colonoscopy....Doesn't matter what's next as all the "heart" stuff has been done. All that stuff is the reason for my anxiety. Am I a frikking lunatic of the highest order? Do all us White Coat Hypertensives act this way? The simple act of someone measuring my BP or counting how many beats per minute my heart contracts causes that very heart to SLAM into my ribcage, faster and faster. WTF???? Craziest affliction ever. Geez.

So, is this just me, or are there others? Please comment, ask questions, whatever. I honestly think it's the most ridiculous "disorder" in the free world. Seriously. What the actual hell gives here?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You are not nuts.  Some doctors simply DO NOT believe in WCS.  They argue with the patient.  They insist on prescribing you Rx.  Relax and try to find a new doctor.  I moved to a new state, and the doctor(s) in the new state does not believe in WCS.  Thankfully, I have had two major surgeries in 2017 (Jan and Jun) both times my pre, and post-anesthetic bp readings were completely within the normal ranges. I also had an echo-stress test in Dec 2016 because the dingbat doctor's nurse hooked up an electrode incorrectly resulting in an abnormal wave.  During my echo-stress test the cardiologist stated, WHY ARE YOU HERE???  You are excellent for age and gender despite being overweight.  He said there is no indication of any heart issues.  Your bp is up because you are exercising.  He asked about WCS.  I said that I was diagnosed with WSC in another state in 2003.  I sit in a puddle of sweat whenever I have my bp was taken...anxiety and stress.   Regarding the dingbat doctor, I have used these surgery readings to inform my doctor of her shortsightedness.  She is rude and not patient-oriented.  I do not go to the doctor unless there is a problem (rarely).   Problem-based visit due to injury or illness.  I do not go to the doctor to shoot the s**t or have coffee.  She's nuts.

Thursday I ran to urgent care, and the attending doctor (a colleague of the dingbat doctor)  started up with the bp.  I was in the clinic for a double ear infection and laryngitis.  I stood my ground and said, NO.  I will not put those bp meds in my system.She went on and on about bp meds.  Nope.  Not taking them.  I have had my body for 55 years.  I know a little more about it than these doctors.  Anyhow...relax, get another opinion.  Good luck.

• Posted

You're fine, apparently most people have at least some WCS, and most doctors believe in it.  In fact I've had just the other problem, years ago my doctor took my BP and it was borderline so he didn't mention it or treat it - and I didn't know anything, the numbers meant nothing to me.  Probably should have started treatment back then.  Instead it was seven years later, and my office reading was high enough, that we started treatment.

?Sometime my BP goes high because of even a minor stress at work or at home, and I am very disappointed in my body, I mean I'm just amazed because it's not really important but apparently we're just not that much in control.  So WCS is "silly" - but BP can be serious.  Are you taking it at home?  I've had more low readings in doctors' offices, when I pretty much trust my home unit, I have the opposite of WCS as much as anything.  All we can do is play the cards we're dealt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.