White tongue for over 5 years?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My tongue has been white for over 5 years now - its not a coating that can be scraped off (definitely not thrush), my tongue is just white! Some days its not as bad as others which is strange, ive noticed when i eat different foods it can make my tongue appear more of a normal colour, but sometimes it can be really white and turn the same colour as the food which is gross.

I scrub my tongue all the time but it doesnt make a difference - I just want to know how I can get rid of this!! Its disgusting and makes my tongue look rough and not smooth or healthy!! Any advice on how to get rid of this or what it could be would be greatly appreciated!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Im having the same problem and the doctors tell me thats normal but I know how my tongue was before I had relations with a girl that had the tongue like I have mine now. I saw her tongue one day when she was brushing her teeth and notice she didnt want to brush her tongue in front of me. Well , I've had several hiv test sincethen and all negative. Its been like two years now and it doea not improve at all dont matter what I do. Lately I've been suffering from dry mouth and I think its bc of that. One doctor prescribed oral nistatin for a week and it was getting better but unfortunately after week it was back to that rough white ( very light gray color). If you find a solution pls share, I will do the same. Thanks

• Posted

You could be experiencing Geographic Tongue.  Geographic tongue is an inflammatory but harmless condition affecting the surface of your tongue. The tongue is normally covered with tiny, pinkish-white bumps (papillae), which are actually short, fine, hairlike projections. With geographic tongue, patches on the surface of the tongue are missing papillae and appear as smooth, red "islands," often with slightly raised borders. Although geographic tongue may look alarming, it doesn't cause health problems and isn't associated with infection or cancer. Geographic tongue can sometimes cause tongue discomfort and increased sensitivity to certain substances, such as spices, salt, and even sweets.

• Posted

I've been thinking my tongue looks white for the past couple months.  When I look at a side view I can notice the difference between bottom and top of tongue.  Do you have a photo of how your tongue looks?  I've been worried about HPV even though my spouse doesn't have the infection.  She hasn't been tested but it's assumed.

• Posted

I have same problem as yours but I am facing stomach bloating ,white flurry swollen tongue and sore throat for almost year now .there are taste buds swollen at extreme back of my tongue..beyond the v type taste buds.I did all blood check but came back normal did thyroid check up come back normal ..hiv tested for 6 times both antibodies and antigen came back normal...now same situation no sex desire ,sleepless nights and I can't concentrate on my work too...pls forgive me my English is not good

• Posted

there are blood lines at back of the tongue doctor thinks that these are due to acid flux he gave me medicine but it didnt help me...early in the morning without brushing my tongue becomes worsen

• Posted

Hi irn, I don't know what else to do, I have seen half a dozen doctors and a lot of tests and so far all test are negative except for the tsh , the only thing the have discover is that I have hypothyroidism. Im about to give up but pls if you find out what this is pls share I will do the same, I know how desperate you must be because thats how I am. I dont know how I stay concentrated at work when I spend most of my day thinking about what this could be because the doctors dont care about us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.