Who Do You Believe?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi folks, 

After being told some 20 years ago that I had R.A., due to being diagnosed with blood test and the pain I was in at the time, which I have to say has not actually gone away.  I had for several years gone down the road of Homeopathy, it worked for some time but as like everything else it became very costly.....I recently went to see a new G.P., at my local clinic, who told me that I may after all not be suffering from R.A., as you can't really go by the blood test it's not conclusive, if this is the case then why are they still doing it and as I ask....Who do you believe.  Also if I don't have R.A., what the heck have I been suffering from all these years.  This is getting annoying as I said to the doctor the last time I saw her, I feel as though they just pat me on the head and say it'll be fine, well it's not fine.....I can hardly function from day to day.  

Also as I was simply told by another doctor some time ago, "You know you have R.A., your going to be in pain and your just going to have to learn to live with it".  Well what if I don't want to live with it.

Surely there is something that can be done.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think we all have similar stories and as a researcher I think I want to do something for us all. I am truly fed up of the way we are supposed to  put up with this treatment  - or lack of! Thanks Tricia. If it wasn't,t for this helpful support I'd go mad I think. 
    • Posted

Hi Ivy, sorry I'm just getting back to you, I have found that since having the Acupuncture on Wednesday afternoon the pain in my back has subsided, I still have the pain in my arms & hips but my back is pain free, it hasn't been like that for so long.....I keep kind of stopping and thinking 'yes' I've no pain in my back, my husband who is a sceptic concerning complemtary medicine is in awe at this fact.

The doctor I saw was so very nice really listened and was totally patient while I tried to manover myself onto the couch and into position for the treatment, I just took along my music and headphones as I have a needle phobia & he said this might help to relax me, it did.

I can't wait for my next session, I didn't feel a thing and really think this should be widely used on the NHS for those who wish to have it.  

I hope your feeling good just now and yes it's so good to talk especially when you know that those your talking to know what your going through.  

• Posted

I only started the roller coaster this summer but I for one am grateful for the medication. I know there are issues with all the meds - side effects etc - but they have statistically been shown as the best option. If you don't take action you will damage your body further long term and thats what I want to avoid. I've had good support from my team at the hospital - maybe I am lucky? But also I am prepared to work with them and not against them. I don't think they are in it to conspire against me but rather work with me. I go on my 'injection training' for metx tomorrow - the tablets made me too nauseous. Fingers crossed they work for me, but if not, I'll keep trying my way through the medications to find a solution.
    • Posted

Hi Jo, thanks for your response.  I just find that the drugs take over my life and for me that not an option really.  I want to be able to live my life as I do.  I started the Acupuncture on Wednesday and so far I have had no pain in my back which is wonderous in it's own right as I have not been pain free for so long.  I still have pain in my arms but keep thinking this is unreal, even my husband is amazed that I am not in pain in my back.

I hope for you the injections work and you find some pain relief.

I find pain makes me depressed as it drains me and I don't like it, I have also started taking Devils Claw, Tumeric & Concentrated Cherry Juice which I heard was good for inflammation, I had not tried them before, I think out of everything the Acupuncture is the best thing so far.

• Posted

Hi to everyone who has responded to me, this is an update, I had my first Acupuncture session on Wednesday afternoon and the doctor was lovely, I have a needle phobia therefore I took my meditation music and earphones along,  he was so patient while I manoeuvred onto the couch, he put 4 needles in my back 2 in each elbow and 2 in each thumb......I was left for approx., 20 or so minutes.

I didn't feel any different afterwards and though o.k., give it time to settle, but later on at night I realised that for the first time in I don't know how long I had no pain in my back.

I got up the next day still no pain and I have to say that sitting here now I still have no pain in my back.....Yippeee!

If this is a sign of how things are going to go I am glad I faced the fear of needles and went for this treatment.

I have also started taking Devils Claw, Tumeric & Concentrated Cherry Juice, wondering if I'm trying too many things at once but will perhaps cut out each of these things to see if there is any difference then perhaps re-instate them.

Hope your all well and as I said before it's so good to talk to people who know what your going through.

• Posted

Just to add, I have been on Chinese meds since November and gradually the RA is subsiding. And I really was ill. The acupuncture is gradually strengthening my hip area where the RA  attacked and I am taking the medicine specifically for me. The reason I have chosen this is because the whole body is treated and it is gradual. I just cannot imagine the horror of an anti cancer drug and an anti malarial on my poor little system. So, rather than that aggressive approach, I want a gradual build back to health. And it's working x
    • Posted

Hi Iyy, sorry I've just realised that I have been calling you Ivy and it's actually Iyy your name, opps! 

I have to agree, I think that if it's working by not putting drugs into your system then you really have to go down that route, I also think that it's the saga of 'it works for some, but not for others', has to be remembered, I have tried several herbal remedies which are meant to work and have done for others but not for me hence I do think it's a case of finding what works for you and sticking to it.  I remember my homeopath saying to me once that it had taken my body several years to get into the condition it was in therefore it would take some time for it to right the wrongs if that makes sense.  

I was just saying to my husband the other day that if you think about it, Chinese & Japanese medicine has been around for centuaries, therefore they must know something about healing the body and how part interacts with another.  

I am glad your healing method is working for you & sincerely hope it continues to do so.

Keep talking, it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.