Who ever said u can lose weight after stopping venlafaxine didn't work for me

Posted , 3 users are following.

ive been off venlafaxine for 8 wks now and gained 15 pnds!!! anyone else gain weight after stopping this drug? i was on 75mg for a little over a year..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

if you are anxious, you generally lose weight. if you start anti depressants, when they are working, and you feel better, most peoples appetites increase. i think its more to do with how you feel, rather than whether you are on an anti depressant, as to how much you eat. if you just feel okay, likely if on them, then you are likely to eat more, to make yourself feel good. probably the same for people not taking meds. the better you feel, the less likely you are to over eat. i lost 3 stone earlier this year, when my old anti depressant stopped working. as my new anti depressant started working, my appetite is huge. however, i just thought that theres no way im putting the weight back on, so have to eat extremely healthily. ive not put it back on, through will power and discipline. it is a daily struggle though. i dont eat carbs, and dont keep food in my house. its extreme, but seems only way i can manage my eating. with no food at home, i dont feel hungry. start an excercise programme, stick to it, so it makes you feel good about yourself, and you are more likely to resist eating too much. it can be a bloody nightmare.

• Posted

if you are anxious, you generally lose weight. if you start anti depressants, when they are working, and you feel better, most peoples appetites increase. i think its more to do with how you feel, rather than whether you are on an anti depressant, as to how much you eat. if you just feel okay, likely if on them, then you are likely to eat more, to make yourself feel good. probably the same for people not taking meds. the better you feel, the less likely you are to over eat. i lost 3 stone earlier this year, when my old anti depressant stopped working. as my new anti depressant started working, my appetite is huge. however, i just thought that theres no way im putting the weight back on, so have to eat extremely healthily. ive not put it back on, through will power and discipline. it is a daily struggle though. i dont eat carbs, and dont keep food in my house. its extreme, but seems only way i can manage my eating. with no food at home, i dont feel hungry. start an excercise programme, stick to it, so it makes you feel good about yourself, and you are more likely to resist eating too much. it can be a bloody nightmare.

• Posted

for me, i over eat either when im a bit stressed or feeling down, when i lose control and discipline. if i take food home with me, i know i will eat it all in one go. i try to make sure food is not easily accessible, and it works for me.

• Posted

for me, i over eat either when im a bit stressed or feeling down, when i lose control and discipline. if i take food home with me, i know i will eat it all in one go. i try to make sure food is not easily accessible, and it works for me.

• Posted

• Posted

i was on it a few years ago to try to treat my chronic migraines (not for depression) and gained 30 pounds over nine months, going from a size 2 to a size 6/8. After getting off of the medication it took 6 months before I started losing the weight and lost all of it within the following four months.

I'm back on a lower dose now in conjuction with other migraine meds but even the lower dose has me gaining weight quickly. I'm going to have to discontinue it again. My doctor said that it is considered weight neutral but that means that some people gain, some people lose and others see no change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.