Who finds IBS pain worse with activity?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doc and I are back to trying to figure out if what I truly have is IBS. Developing a burning stomach that radiates to back threw him off. I am waiting on test results for pancreatitis and liver function. He feels the radiating to back sounds the pancreas but I saw a diff doc today since he was out and she thinks ulcer and she thinks if we can cure ulcer then it may improve other symptoms like the pain moving all over and the constipation that magically turned into diarrhea for a hot second today. Back to constipation now.

Here's the thing, the burning pain is worse with movement. Yet I went to gym today and did elliptical for 25 minutes and it helped keep burn in stomach and mid back pain away. But it got bad again hour later and stayed through night even after taking med to sooth stomach. On day two of omeprazole and that is not doing anything.

When I sit and drive car I noticed burn radiating to mid back is also worse. Does and did anyone else experience this with IBS? Did movement make abdomen pain worse?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Activity really helps my IBS. The stomach burning along with back pain and bowel habit change does not sound like an ulcer; it sounds like IBS.

• Posted

Pippa

Can IBS radiate to middle back too? Doc said IBS can cause lower back pain but not usually associated with middle so that freaked me out. Been trying to find others who have IBS diagnosis say they have middle back pain.

The pancreatitis blood tests came back but I am too afraid to look. They are accessible online but if I see any of the numbers high or low I will be sure to think I am terminal.

The med they gave me to ease the burning in stomach did not help. It creates a coating over an ulcer to allow for eating. Made no difference for me. Tonight the burning was intense not only in stomach but across my abdomen. Cried for two hrs and thought about giving up. Feel like I'll die from this anyway since doctors can't find a definitive cause. Can't take the anxiety over this much longer. I am even terrified of colonoscopy, CT, and endoscopy at this point.

• Posted

I would advise you to look at your pancreatic test results because not knowing will increase your anxiety.You need to know what you are facing to reassure you. Even if you don't understand your results, ask your doctor who will explain them to you. Then you will be able to move on. You may find that they are normal; try to think about it that way. Even if they are low or high, your doctor will be able to offer treatment. Doctors will find a definitive cause, try not to panic because anxiety will increase your symptoms.Keep to positive thoughts rather than telling yourself you are going to die. I had these extreme feelings and it made me worse. However, my doctor did diagnose me eventually and I got immediate relief. Keep telling yourself you will get answers. Tell your doctor the medication didn't work for you and you will be given something else. Sometimes, you have to try several medications. Maybe it didn't work because you don't have an ulcer. Perhaps ask for PPI medication. I know of people who get a burning stomach with IBS. I find milk really helps to soothe my stomach.

Remember, IBS pain can occur just about anywhere. I wouldn't try looking for others with the same symptoms; simply concentrate on treating your own symptoms because everyone experiences it differently. Constantly trying to match up your symptoms with others will cause you further stress. I tried this and it made me panic more when I found my symptoms were different from my brother's IBS. Pain can radiate. So when you have it in your lower back, it can travel further up. I found myself massaging a little further up my back than the lower region when I had lower back pain. IBS pain tends to move about. Doctors often concentrate on textbook IBS symptoms and often don't understand that everyone is different.

Try distraction techniques like light exercise and a hobby and you will find it will take your mind off your symptoms. The more you relax, the more you will find symptom relief. When I stopped panicking, I found I had no symptoms.

• Posted

I am sitting here with the same pain right now just due to trapped wind, today. I had it for three days once, ended up in hospital on a painkiller drip. had the tests for pancreas, liver etc but just IBS. Also had the switch from constipation to diarrhoea. Anxiety screws my stomach up and every three months it throws a real wobbly. i am on a restricted diet, too much fat/sugar or different fruit or veg can cause reactions. Also taking ibruprofen for pain instead of paracetamol. just lying down with a heat pad deep breathing. yoga childs pose. things i try. If i didnt have to go to work today would also help!

• Posted

i just remembered buscopan! im going to try taking that now. Thats what hospital recommended with paracetamol.

• Posted

Hey Sarah,

Do you feel bloated and feel full after eating less?

The characteristics of your pain looks like pancreas problem but need to consider overall scenario to come to conclusions and your scans will tell you more accurately.

Well Gastritis and IBS can coexsist as both is related to stress. Did the do upper GI endoscopy for stomach problem?

Hyper acidity may get worse during night but omeprazole should help with that.

Did you use any kind of NSAIDs pain killers? which may worsen the stomach problem.

You can ask your doctor, If that is stomach issue, About taking sucralfate with omeprazole.

IBS pain should get better if you pass the wind or stool or do exercise.

So let us know what did your scans tell you? I find it more of a stomach problem. As with pancreas problem you have change in stool color and stool floats in the water due to improper fat digestion.

• Posted

Also eat in little portions with avoidance of very spicy, fatty and heavy on stomach food like meat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.