Who gives the instructions regarding a refusal of an NHS service?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My wife has a debilitating corn on the sole of her foot but the Practice we use told us she has to seek private podiatry care. Since then I have spent hours attempting to discover who issues such instructions with no success so can anyone tell me the answer or are these NHS Gruppenführes able to hide from us all?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

For all it costs private is a better option and no waiting time. NHS foot care is mainly reserved for diabetics.

You could check for a local college that trains podiatrists as they need patients to practice one

• Posted

I deeply resent the privatisation by stealth of the NHS which I why my wife and I are taking a stand against it. The question is, "Who actually takes these decisions.

• Posted

Have you ever needed treatment for muscular skeletal problems. In 2006 Labour planned to put it our for tender between the NHS and private companies. By 2010 when they went out of office it was left to the conservatives get going. That took to 2014 and now MSK have about half of the service. It was broken down into areas and the winners were given hundred of millions to run each area.

Google MSK to see how the service is spread out. Circle Health were a big winner initially. In Greenwich a public outcry resulted in a public inquiry. I think it was the Independent or the Guardian who ran an article showing what was happening

MSK boast not for profit but the catch is those with the contracts pay themselves massive salaries. GP's I've spoken to in our area don't like it nor strangely do most of the consultants they employ many of whom are still NHS consultants.

They would not allow my wife or I to have badly needed spinal MRI scans so we had to pay for them. My cardiologist actually arranged for my later second MRI as an NHS patient.

• Posted

I would suggest, optimistically, that maybe a change of Government would resolve your problem but a major problem is that so few people are interested in the political life of the country.

• Posted

As I said MSK was a Labour inspiration that the present government continued with.

• Posted

Yes I wouls agree on that -politics no matter what format it takes is the bae of this country -or so Im told

• Posted

Hmm I dot know the answer to that one -but maybe I could suggest contacting the hospital directly & see if you can make an appointment with the relevant section .

Like Derek76 said NHS care for feet is usually reserved for diabetics

Ive heard a lot of the time on the TV news that the NHS are always in trouble for various things -& when you think about it -its all down to poor service & bad practice. To be fair though they've been fantastic to my dad with his various treatments for his bowel cancer to cant critisize them on that one

Failing the hospital, then see if you can go into a walk in centre & see what they can advice

if not try a private foot care hospital that my be able to help you but be prepared to pay for it

By the way what is a Gruppenführe??? lol

Very good luck in your search

• Posted

There is no point in contacting the hospital or the Podiatry department because their answer will be that they will only treat corns if you are diabetic. I'm now attempting to discover who made that rule and when but all I'm meeting is buck passing from the NHS.

I refuse to pay as a matter of principle the principle being to oppose the privatisation by stealth of the NHS.

My use of the term, "Gruppenführe" is a sarcastic reference to Nazi Officers.

• Posted

If you go to the NHS site on corns they tell you how you can sort them out yourself, have you tried talking to your pharmacist? If you go to the doctor they will refer you to a podiatrist normally one you pay for. I don't think it is because it is a corn that it is treated for people with diabetes, it is because any foot problem can cause major problems including having toes, foot or even leg amputated. We pay for NHS treatment for teeth, medication, and eye checks. There are a lot of things no longer available on the NHS. I feel very sorry for your wife that you are refusing to pay on principle. There is no way I would want to go through a lot of unecessary pain for that reason. I had to pay to see a rheumatologist privately because my GP did not have a clue what was wrong, and at least I was able to live my life again.

• Posted

If I were in a lot of pain with a corn I would be prepared to pay, it probably would only be a once off and would be less than a pub meal for two. Think of your poor wife. There are a lot of things that the NHS does not now offer as it is on its knees, or you have to wait months for an appointment.

• Posted

Hello RSM

Suggest you approach a solicitor to write to the Area manager to ask the question. You should get an answer very quickly if you have been misled.

g

• Posted

On the other hand it would probably be cheaper to pay for a podiatrist than a solicitor!

In a town near me they have a podiatrist college that does your feet for free, they ask for a donation to a charity if you can afford it.

• Posted

Have you ever tried corn plasters?? I had one once & it lasted a while

• Posted

Hi i dont really know the answer to that

Im bedridden as a result of a riding accident.& having to relearn to walk again &going to the loo on my hands & knees

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.