Who has to work Monday hungover?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I remember having a terrible fear every Friday..that I would not be back on  to work on Monday...due to over drinking.

I have felt any pain that anyone is feeling...I had the pain for over 25 years....the fear of losing a job...the fear of people telling me I looked bad or worst...smelled like alcohol.

I'm grateful I don't work anymore...and it has been tough for me the past 2 years staying away from a drink....so I give anyone who went to work today after a heavy drinking weekend...one BIG HIGH FIVE....

Always..on Monday...I would say..."after tonight (cause I'm so hungover)...I will start Tuesday and NOT drink....never happened..until I was basically having to force it to happen...calling in sick too much..finally had to go to a rehab/detox..just in order to keep my job.

That nightmare (went to 9 detoxes in the 19 years at my job)...went on and on for years..I always got away with the drinking and calling out...because I went for help...they couldn't fire me if I was getting help.

I wish I never drank again when I finally "left" that job.....because i had 8 years sobriety....and hadn't had those Monday mornings in a long time..but once i started drinking again 2 years ago...the H*LL has come back....the cravings...the feeling like a drunk...the dissapointed family members...on and on.

So bless you if you went to work for Monday after drinking.  Thinking of you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's Monday morning 5am in England and I was up at 4,30.I start work at 5.45.

I don't feel to bad considering but I spose I'm used to it.I just look bad.

I jokingly say that when I was younger and got drunk I would feel like hell the next day but look good.Now I look sh*t but feel ok mist of the time

• Posted

Great post Missy but I have few problems and did hide it well on Mondays...more important about you. DID not know know that you had 8 yrs sober and the hell...keep trying and never give up. Robin
    • Posted

hi Robin!

Yes, 8 years is a very long time...how did I do that?

Basically, I was hitting the low points that one hits when drinking too much and I became "sick of being sick"...and I went to AA for the first 6 years (against my best wishes)...but it worked for me.

I started thinking when I left work 2 years ago...I could indulge in a 6 pack...and here I am....what the Hell...it takes over so quickly.

• Posted

I feel awful after drinking 2 bottles of wine last night but feeling awful is normal to me now...

i stopped nalmefene as it was making me feel like I was on acid, but my drinking has spiralled again.

im off to an alcohol course today, 4 days, lets see if I learn anything.

have no hope of change at the moment,mworried I need something truly terrible to happen to shock me into changing...

• Posted

I feel for you that you seem not to be getting what you need out of the alcohol course.

I am currently in an alcohol course as well and have been in about 10 alcohol courses over the past 20 years...

4 days left?  by your reply to me..I see you sitting in the course...feeling alone....feeling fearful it isn't going to work and possibly displaying frustration and anger toward the course.

Do yourself a favor tommorow...when you go...tell yourself you are going to hear ONE thing from the course that you NEED to hear to help you....try to go in with a positive attitude because whether you are doing this for work....or whatever purpose....you really want to be well.

Really thou, when I went to courses years ago...I really just wanted to ACT like I wanted to be well....what I really wanted was to learn how to drink NORMALLY.

I am learning in my course that medication and therapy are 50/50....we need medication to get our brains to a point where we feel some hope....I'm talking antidepressents...and if you are on one....maybe it is not the right one.

If you really want to be abstinent....than try Campral "fuzzy"...cause it really has helped me mind and body to not be so focused on needing a drink...and I have had some difficult situations in the last 3 weeks..where I KNOW without Campral I would have drank.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.