Who is currently suffering side effects of Lamotrigine/Lamictal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am not epileptic but was diagnosed a year ago as suffering Bipolar II disorder. I started on 50mg - 25 x morning and night at August last year. It helped stabilise down from hypomanic but by Christmas I was had descended to very low mood, lethargy, and not caring about myself, others or everyday tasks.

My dosage was increased a week ago by just 25mg. Already I am feeling energised, 'high' and capable of almost anything I set my mind too. However I'm showing the symptoms of facial rash, some diarrhoea, sickness and sleeplessness which are all recognised side effects. The new energy rush is enjoyable in a way. The butterflies in the tummy, the increase in creativity etc., are all beneficial but I am scared of going back up to full-blown hypomania which blighted my life for months last spring. Besides I can't afford to spend another £13K in a few weeks of madness.

Is anyone else experiencing similar difficulties with this drug GG

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Yes I'm experiencing different moods sleeplessness & awful vivid dreams. I'm on 25mg a day going up to 50mg morning & 50mg at night... I'm feeling really low at moment too sad. But have been told this will ease when I'm up to my full dose. I've recently been diagnosed with epilepsy. 
  • Posted

Hi Georgina. I hope you're well. I will respond to your enquiry but firstly I have to highlight some serious issues I have noticed.

Firstly, please do not underestimate the 'madness phase' as you described it as you may reach to an edge where you end your life. The series of bipolar disorder is that it's unpredictable response to the surrounding environment. Some challenging behaviours could be eliminated by changing the environment while what I and you have cannot be eliminated but mitigated. You are paying K13 to mitigate the effect of a manic episode which may end by jumping of the roof 'believing on the ability of flying' or drowning in a river 'believing on the ability of walk on the water'. I would pay more than K13 to keep my manic episode controllable.

Back to your concern about Lamotrigine, well rush is very serious issue and side effect of this drug. When I started it was advised to go to the ER in case if I suffer from the rush. I am on 300mg now and I take it before I go to bed. Good luck.

Atom 75, please give this medication some time. It may work well for you. Also maybe you want to consult your psychiatrist about adding antidepressant drug for support. Keep in your mind that Lamotrigine is a mood-stabilizer and it could be not really very helpful in manic episode if its taken alone.from the rush. I am on 300mg now and I take it before I go to bed. Good luck.

Atom75, please give this midication some time. It may work well for you. Also maybe you want to consult your phycatrist about anti diprestion durg

• Posted

I'm on 50 mg 2 times a day, when I was increased to 75 twice a day, my coordination was off, I fell twice. Cognitive skills- forgetfulness. I called Dr. Back on 50 mg twice a day. I do have blurred vision if looking from afar and feels like lump in throat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.