who uses a pedal exerciser?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello nearly 8 weeks now. Some people have mentioned pedal exercisers. When did you start using them and are there any tips as to good buys? Anything to watch out for when using them. Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi sally

I'm 11wks and bought one off eBay @about 8 weeks. I used it 5 mins a time and gradually increased as it became easier. I now do roughly 20-30 mins one or twice a day while reading or watching a movie

I paid $25 (second hand but hardly used) It's quite sturdy and gives time /distance /calories etc.

They're pretty reasonable and very handy.

• Posted

Let us know how you get on!

I love mine - so compact to pop under the table and bring out when wanted. smile

• Posted

Oh one more thing, i always ice after using the pedal exerciser, just to prevent any swelling. smile
  • Posted

Hi Sally, I started to use an exercise bike in my gym at 6 weeks with the seat at the highest so that my feet only just reached the pedals and with no resistance.  At first I could barely do one revolution and found pedalling backwards helped before I achieved my first forward revolution.  After that, I never looked back.  Within a week I was pedalling for 15 mins and lowering the seat to increase the bend.  I swear that the increased blood flow to the knee speeded up the healing.  I am now 9 weeks in and using the exercise bike three times a week and following up with the jets of a hot jacuzi bubbling on my knee (heaven). I'm walking the dog daily between 2 and 5 miles without aids.  The knee stills feels weaker than the other and I still have problems at night but I'm told I am making excellent progress.   I cannot recommend pedalling enough but it should be on a good quality model (like in a gym) with suitable supervision at first.
  • Posted

Hi Sally

I had a knee arthroscopy resulting in repairs to the cartilage and microfracture surgery.  In week 3 my physio did a bike test with me to see if I could turn the pedals on an exercise (spinning) bike and recommended I start pedalling initially 10-15 mins at a time.  I purchased an exercise bike for home but had some problems with it, so as an interim step I purchased a pedal exerciser from amazon.

It's been good for me. Longer term i don't think it is as good as a bike, but at those earlier stages of recovery it's brilliant.  The model I purchased is reasonably sturdy, with a little bit of resistance.  The only thing I found an issue was that I was using it from a dining room chair, and once I got up to 15 mins at a time it was putting pressure on my coccyx in a way that you don't get with a regular bike.   

I would definitely recommend it to get you started though (under supervision from physio).

Good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Hello

thanks for that. Mine arrived today and with help i put my feet in the pedals and managed to rock them back and forth for a bit! Small steps! I will go for the full turn later hopefully when i have iced my knee and had my meds. I have made a start!!

• Posted

HI Sally I bought one that I use eye-catching telly,after 3 weeks I started using it for 5 mins 3 times s day along with my other exercises from my

physio.I then progressed to 15 mins 3 times a day and also walk for an hour every day with just one stick now .lm 63# I had both the knees done at the

same time 16 weeks ago ,and I now feel they are my own .persevere and you can't go wrong no pain no gain '

• Posted

Hi Sally. I started bike after 4 weeks under physio instructions I do 5 mins three times a week. I use the gyms then go for hydrotherapy after. As mentioned by others I started with raised seat but now it's lower and I get a full revolution. It's helping as I can now walk properly up stairs at 5 week 2 days. Good luck and progressing with care.

Robert

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.