Why am I getting these thoughts?!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am new to this, 

I am a 17 year old girl. Recently I have been getting these weird and very disturbing thoughts. It is very embarrassing to talk about and I feel disgusting as a person. 

I keep getting thoughts about sexually abusing little children, I would never ever do that! I am not that type of person no way! I have little brothers who are 4 and 5 and sometimes i get these thoughts about sexually abusing them! This is a really big struggle for me and I don’t want to be judged because I don’t want these thoughts, I would never do that to my brothers or any child!

But then I think to myself if I’m having these thoughts then I must be a pedophile because only pedophiles get these thoughts. But I don’t want these thoughts and I don’t want to do these things!! I feel sick when I think about this and I’m really struggling to make them go away. 

Not only do I have thoughts about that, I also have thoughts thinking that someone is going to come in my house and kill me and all my family! It is horrible. 

I keep getting different thoughts though, some will come and go but the pedophile one is the worst that will not go away. 

I also keep thinking that I’m schizophrenic or something, I will hear something and then convince myself that I am hearing things and other thoughts that I am thinking are ‘you have to stab your boyfriend or your mum will die’ obviously I would never do that to my boyfriend, but it’s really getting to me and these thoughts are constantly in my head and I’m struggling and I can’t cope with getting through the days. 

I honestly feel like I am going mad! I just need to know if anyone is experiencing the same things I am and will I get better? Am I a pedophile? Could I kill my boyfriend? But I don’t want to do any of these things and it’s literally ripping me apart as a person that I’m thinking about these things, I feel like I’m disgusting and need to die! 

Please can someone help me and answer me! Are there ways to get through this! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It's anxiety caused by intrusive thoughts and/or vice versa. Are you on any drugs or medication?

• Posted

I’m not on any medication to help with the thoughts, but I am on the medication levothyroxine for my under active thyroid and have been since November last year. 
    • Posted

Thyroid drugs can lead to obsessive thinking.
  • Posted

These are classic symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (a type of anxiety disorder). I am diagnosed with this disorder and experienced symptoms like this growing up, these are intrusive thoughts - it does not mean you are going mad or really feel or want to do these things so please try not to feel ashamed or guilty or scared about them. Obviously I am not a health professional so I would advice bringing this up to a doctor or mental health professional of some sort, or to a family member if you trust them. Don't be afraid to tell them exactly what you are experiencing, even if you feel embarrassed or ashamed as these are CLASSIC symptoms that medically trained professionals will understand and know you mean no harm to anyone. You can get more info on OCD here https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/symptoms-of-ocd/#.WpCYVUx2uYM and if you want to drop me a private message at all or need to talk, feel free x

• Posted

Thank you, this helped me knowing I’m not going mad and other people are experiencing this too 
    • Posted

How do I send you a private message? Sorry I’m new to this 
  • Posted

First of all, there is no way that people on this discussion forum can determine if you are schizophrenic or not..only doctors can determine this as it is a genetic disease and they can detect it from a specific line of mental and physical health tests. Secondly, I suffer from OCD and used to (in my early teens alike yourself) used to think about the worst possible things that could happen to me. I would have visual flashes of falling down flights of stairs in school, I would think about hurting my mother or my father. I would have to walk up to the top of a building on some absurd street in the downtown of my city just to look at everything in the corridor or on the roof. It was completely irrational and I still can't explain it, but it was painful and I still deal with these absurd thoughts to this day (I am now a 28 year old female.) I can assure you you aren't alone and you might feel like you're going mad but you aren't....but I would strongly advise you get to a medical practitioner and a therapist (not a psychiatrist) first. 

• Posted

thank you for answering and yes I have an appointment with a therapist next month. 
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel, except instead of the sexual thoughts mine are sucidial. No matter what I do the thought won’t leave my head. It’s extremely powerful and scary sad you are not alone! 
    • Posted

You should talk to someone about it. Mental health is very important. If you can't talk to your love one, maybe call some therapies. Sometimes it's really hard to talk about something that bothers us mentally cz not everyone will understand. Don't let these thoughts fill your life. I encourage you to talk to someone about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.