Why am I loosing iron so fast??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a very healthy, active, 18 year old girl. My whole life I have had some stomach and anxiety problems and such but nothing too serious. Around 2 years ago when I was 16 I started to feel lethargic, tired, dizzy, sick, and breathless. I couldn’t understand this, so I wen to the doctor. They dismissed me as anxiety because my hemoglobin was at 11.1, only very slightly under normal for a girl. But a year later it started to get to the point where I wasent enjoying my life anymore. They finally took it a step further and found my ferritin was at 8, however didn’t seem too concerned since normal range is technically 8-200 or something insane like that . I was finally treated via iron infusions(FYI, would HIGHLY reccomend against pills wich are slow and don’t do much ). My ferritin was increased to 152 last summer, I was feeling great for about 3-4 months. I was focused, got a 4.0 GPA and didn’t miss a single day of work. But recently the symptoms have started to creep back into my life recently I Am so dizzy I am questioning if the there is something seriously wrong with me. My mom took me back and had my ferritin re checked. It was back down to 64. I have lost almost 60% of my ferritin in 6 months. I guess my questions are 

1. Does anyone else experience these symptoms with low ferretin but technically not being anaemic?? 

2. Why would I be loosing iron so fast? I barley bleed at all on my period, I eat an iron rich diet with a lot of kale and red meat, and as far as I know I am not bleeding internally, could this be leaky gut syndrome due to

My lifelong stomach problems (Ibs) or

Maybe I’m not absorbing it at all?? I have just now cut gluten and dairy and switched to a Whole Foods plant based diet in hopes to heal

My stomach. I’m just concerned as to why it dropped so so fast. This is really interfering with my life and holding me back. Any advice would be so appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Go back to your gp. Ask to be tested for celiac as that can cause poor iron

It unlikely to be anything serious at your age . 

Do you eat lots of red meat etc ? Are you taking any iron supplements just to maintain levels?

What does your dizzy feel like ? 

Ellie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.