Why am i so quiet?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 24 years old. For years I've always been considered the quiet one. This may sound weird, but it's so hard for me to make conversation with someone, especially if it's meeting someone new. I only have like 3 friends, because I tend to avoid making new ones, since I always end up being quiet. Usually, most people I've meet, tend to not wanna talk to me, and I also avoid those situation because it just ends up in a very awkward, silence situations. Example, people at my job, usually nobody wants to talk to me because I have nothing to say. Even with my family, they are always asking why I'm so quiet. This is something that I've struggled for years, and I'm getting to the point where I'm getting depressed because of that. I always try to pay attention to what other people are talking about, so I can actually learn how to talk, but when it's me trying to make a conversation, it just falls short and I just end up trying to leave the situation. I don't know if I have some sort of disability, like ADD, but it's frustrating. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Maybe you're just naturally shy?  Are you anxious around people?   Do you feel ashamed of something?  Are you afraid of people -- that maybe they will judge you?  When people talk to you can you understand what they are saying?  I'm just tossing out random thots here to try to understand. 

There is a real art to making small talk that once you learn it, you may feel much more at ease about talking.  Most people LOVE to talk about themselves.  Sooooooo if you are not afraid, pretend you are a late night talk show host and ask someone a question. 

Sorry you didn't say where you work or I could be more precise.  What do you do for a living?  A bit more information, may help me to help you because at one point in my younger years, I too was very shy  --  didn't know how to start a conversation and only gave very short answers if asked a question.

Help me to help you.  More info would be nice.  Talk to me.  biggrin

• Posted

Hi patufus92 - sorry to read of your situation. I have become you in that i have little to say. It wasn't always like that. i used to talk up a storm and was very social. Babble babble babble - so much so that people would run away screaming when they say me coming. There's a treasure in silent observation. 

I am wondering whether you have any artistic qualities where you can express yourself? Singing, painting, writing? Difficulty communicating in a social situation is quite common. I remember someone once said that if you have nothing to say, ask questions. People love to talk about themselves. They won't learn about you but they'll walk away saying what a lovely person you are - so interested and attentive. When it's your turn, start with small, succinct sentences. Your responses will expand as you become more comfortable and confident. Don't over analyse what you are saying. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.