Why am I so scared? What am I so afraid of?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with GAD, SAD, and depression about 6 months ago. The depression and anxiety I am working on but something still feels off. I am extremely hyper-vigilant, especially at night. It's like I am waiting for something bad to happen or someone to break into my house and try to kill me. I don't sleep at night. I may lay down for bed around 11pm and not actually fall asleep until 1 or 2 pm, and even then I wake up multiple times after I finally fall asleep. I am always observant of everyone around me, thinking that someone if going to pull out a gun. There is nothing that I can think of from my past that would cause me to be this afraid. My parents fought 24/7 growing up. My dad was emotionally abusive to my mother and sometimes me. I know he was physically abusive as well but that is where it is hard for me to remember. I remember old memories of their fights and have heard a lot of stories but I myself cannot put together a full memory of any of the incidents. My dad came home drunk every night right when I was about to fall asleep. My parents would yell at the top of their lungs and I swear every time I thought I was going to have to call the police. Every night, I cried myself to sleep and most of the time, my mom would come and sleep in bed because of my dad. We would both just sit their and cry and talk about how we need to leave.. I am not sure if this is enough of a reason for me to be scared for my life though.. I know when I hear loud noises, like trains, loud music,or people yelling, I get freaked out, like if something bad was happening right now no one would know because of the noise. I still feel like there is something I am not remembering.

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this I also have trouble sleeping

• Posted

Thanks. I was just prescribed new meds for insomnia, hopefully they work. Would love to sleep for more than two hours per night smile
  • Posted

Hi, these are very traumatic memories of childhood that have left some mental scars so your fearfulness at nighttime is understandable. Have you ever had any counselling regarding this trauma? Is the medication helping you sleep any better? Hoping that you have seen an improvement. Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.