Why am I still getting acne?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm a 19-year-old male and I've been struggling with acne since I was about 16. When I was in high school, I used to get cystic acne on my checks and chin and papules on my forehead and cheeks, and whiteheads on my lips and nose FREQUENTLY. There was always at least one or two noticeable pimples on my face at all times. In the summer before leaving for college I broke out tremendously. I didnt want to leave the house. As the first week or two of college passed, I started growing a beard, which made me happy because it hid the acne very well. I guess it took the attention off of it. I noticed my acne to be less frequent and severe but still had some here and there. Fast forward to today, Im starting to break out more and more. Ive changed a lot about my routines. Ive started taking multivitamins (without iodine and low biotin), zinc, and fish oils, Ive cut out dairy from my diet, I try to drink as much water as possible, I exercise, I wash and change my pillow cases more often, I wash my beard,, but im getting more and more acne than i did before.

Im just sick of seeing my face look gross while everyone is enjoying flawless skin. I just dont understand what im doing wrong.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hey, my acne started around 17 up until i was 25, painful cystic acne, i tried everything like you have, sorting my diet, different skin treatments, nothing worked. I recently had a 6 month course of accutane and it all went, its been 4 months, nothing has come back.

if youre prone i really think its the only thing that will work. if youre in uk see the gp & get on the waiting list cause its a 6 month wait. Your gp will most likely make you try other stuff first too. good luck, hope it works out for you!

• Posted

Try giving up sugar and alcohol they can affect your skin. Try getting a face wash and toner with salicylic acid it helps draw out deep painful spots that you can't squeeze and helps with redness and pain. See a dermatologist if it is causing you too much stress. If you are unsure about taking tablets for your acne, there are laser treatments for acne and acne scars. Sunbeds used to help me when I was younger but that probably wouldn't be recommended now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.