Why are GPs worried about kidney function with losartan?

Posted , 8 users are following.

When losartan reduces the decline in kidney function with age, and when it is used in high blood pressure in those with Type2 diabetic kidney problems, why, O why, won't GPs allow a larger daily does than 100mg per day?

I know the recommended daily maximum is 100mg daily but it's only recommended.

I can get my systolic down from 135-145 to 125-8 by increasing from 100mg to 150mg in two does per day.

This will surely do more good to my kidneys through reduced blood pressure, so why does my GP son say that he wouldn't go above the licensed daily maximum for some mumbled kidney reason?

After all, the license allows 150mg daily in heart failure so why not a little more to get over the liver metabolising the losartan too quickly through the day at 100mg daily.

Besides, I am only hitting the kidneys with a 75mg dosage at any one time whereas the product licence allows them to be hit with 100mg (daily).

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I believe I was switched because the Losartan wasn't controlling my blood pressure too well and it was still in the borderline high blood pressure range.

• Posted

PS, I'm seeing a Nephrologist on Tuesday, and will definitely ask him what is better for the kidneys, lrbesartan or Losartan. I'm also going to ask about antibiotics. I have one or maybe more kidney stones and side pain so saw urologist last Friday because I'm not sure if that can affect kidney function. Well they scoped me to look in my bladder and subsequently caused an infection causing me to have extreme pain and blood when urinating. Doc was going to put me on CIPRO. I rearched and found CIPRO is extremely hard on the kidneys. What the hell!? Going to worsen then vary thing I'm trying to fix? I called the urinary advice nurse (who is a urinary doctor) and she changed me to Cephalexin. Advice for the day: don't take docs word for granted. Research and ask questions on all prescriptions and meds. Also along with 800mg ibuprofen daily, I also never drank enough water and was dehydrated for years.

• Posted

Yikes! Cefalexin recently put me in hospital with C.Difficile because according to the doctor in A&E a GP had prescribed too long a course!!!

I will be very interested to hear what you find out about Losartan v Irbesartan.

• Posted

Clostridium Difficile! Is very infectious and causes severe colon problems and can be very very serious - for me when the watery diarrhoea and bleeding started I didn't waste much time in calling the paramedics and getting into hospital having quickly stopped the Cefalexin as I guessed it was to blame.  I had always believed it was a hospital-acquired infection only - something similar to MRSA - but have learnt from my horrid experience that some antibiotics can cause it, especially if, like me, you are left on it for far too long (my GP prescribed a second course - at the time, I mentioned to him that I had slight diarrhoea starting!).  I was pill-phobic before but now I'm really running scared.  Having an ultrsound on bladder and kidney in a couple of weeks time so hoping the shed load of antibiotics I've taken in the last few months haven't left  a worsening mark on my kidney function.

• Posted

That does sound bad. I think I was have some bad reactions to the cephalexin (feeling of drunkenness, body aches, headache, fever) but they seem to have subsided with 2 extra strength Tylenol, or it was just the infection causing the those symptoms.
  • Posted

Saw Nephrologist Thursday, and he told me Losartan and Irbesartan do the same thing and one wasn't better than the other. In me however, Irbesartan seems to control my BP better.

• Posted

Yes, both drugs are from the same family.  If Irbesartan works for you without side effects, then that sounds the way to go.  Good luck.
  • Posted

This is my case...I am using lozartan almost a year now. Initially my doctor prescribed me 100mg 1 x day (after breakfast). After 2 months months gone up. Reduced to 50 mg a day, creatinine loweredand my b/p continue o be normal. With monthly lab test my crea is like uphill downhill and my latest lab test my crea was 150mg. For now i switch to fresh vegy and fresh fruits no red meat and monitoring if it has good result.
  • Posted

Do not take things for granted, do what your doctor says. Things are always subject to change in good ways and in bad ways.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.