Why are the veins on my hands really blue?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I have many unexplained symptoms which could all overlap which makes it difficult to get tests done as symptoms are so varied. One symptom I can't understand is the veins on my palms occasionally going really blue, particularly at the Base of my thumb near wrist, but it happens all over including up fingers. I also get it (although not as bad) on the tops of my hands and arms.

What could it be? Anyone else ever had this? Been happening to me for a couple of years

Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen a doctor about your other unexplained symptoms? what are they? Any tests done? 
    • Posted

Yep, putting it down to anxiety because he cannot come up with any other answers.

Suffering lightheadedness, pain throughout body but commonly very sharp pain around the left elbow, earache, acid feeling, lately nausea sore dry throat, breathing feels weird.

I've had all general blood works done, brain/ear mri, pelvic mri and ultrasound, ecg and echo (but before the breathless feelings)

• Posted

Also worth mentioning a numb burning tingly thigh and odd feelings in my leg and nose like a vibrating feeling
    • Posted

HI Gem, well that's quite a list. Sounds like reflux to me, and yes, it can cause breathlessness. Further evidence, a lot of your symptoms match someone with malabsorption.  Final piece of the puzzle... when they start saying it's anxiety (or chronic fatigue or fibro or whatever) big red flag that there is a nutrition component to the problem because medical doctors know virtual nothing about it. Bottom line, insurance companies don't make it a priority and there isn't a box for prescribing a banana. If if there's no box to check, most often they don't bother. It's the nature of modern medicine. A 20 minute appt just leaves no room for them to do much other than meet the requirements.  If a digestive issue is interfering with your ability to absorb nutrients it could cause a long list of what are really symptoms, not the primary problem. Look into GERD (acid reflux) and LPR (gaseous) Reflux. Gaseous reflux especially is well known to irritate lungs, espophogeous, sinus, ears, even cause sinus headaches. and cause pneumonia as little droplets can get into your lungs.  Along with reflux you can have other digestive issues that wreak havoc with your ability to absorb nutrition.  The health issues that can result from nutritional deficiencies can be much more debilitating than people realize.  Just a few related concerns: Beri Beri, Megablastic Anemia, Scurvy, Rickets, Pernicious anemia, Thyroid, Depression, Neurological  ... not small problems, right?  Try a gluten-free, low acid, low fodmap, high in nutrients (esp B12 and D) diet, something that is super easy for you to digest. Think of your digestive system as if it is the system of an infant.  Start with smoothies with tons of healthy fruits (frozen is fine) and protein and no seeds because they will just add to the inflammation. Be patient!  Add back semi-solids and then solids very gradually, in small amounts.  Get some sun to get vitamin D into your system.  D is directly tied to digestion. Educate yourself about the various nutrients and symptoms of deficiency then decide if you think you find matching symptoms and get to a nutritionist for a workup and consult with a GI doctor. Also, get to an allergist to get an allergy panel done because my guess is you will find some surprises there but if not, that's also valuable information.  Keep searching for answers, but if you haven't made sure basic functions are working properly, introducing meds and what not might just be treating symptoms.  Seek out ground zero as best you can.  Where did all this start?  What makes the most sense as to what caused what? That's what you want to treat and help your (hopefully NEW) doctor focus on. 

• Posted

Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I have almost the exact same symptoms as you and would like to know whats going on!

• Posted

If you are experiencing breathlessness could you be experiencing asthma?  Have you done a lung function test? Lack of oxygen due to breathlessness may account for the blue veins. 

It is possible that you are just over sensitive to anything that goes slightly awry with your body. How old are you? Have you experienced some sort of trauma about 2 years ago and these symptoms started then?

• Posted

Haven't had a lung function done, I get what you say and I am sensitive to everything but these are very real symptoms and I feel poorly every day, it's ruining everything and I really need to push for help in the right direction

• Posted

Sounds like raynaud's phenomenon, which is often benign but can been caused by an auto immune disorder known as scleroderma, which would require an ANA blood test preferably not done through elsia

• Posted

That's great thanks. Could that cause me to feel breathless and lightheaded? My 2 main troublesome features? I'm sure I had an ana done and it didn't show anything but it could be wrong. How do you mean through elsia?

• Posted

I've been going threw the same thing. Come to find out it was all caused by stress and anxiety. So when I found that out..and I started relaxing more and doing fun things that made me happy. All those weird problems went away.

• Posted

Hi Gem,

How are you feeling now? Any better?

I too have very dark veins/capillaries on my palms and fingers. They are increasing, along with extremely sluggish blood flow / cold hands. However, I've yet to get any sort of diagnosis despite various auto-antibody tests, thyroid, CBC, etc.

As for the burning/tingling sensations, breathlessness, etc., I went through a long spell of that myself. I believe those symptoms were largely anxiety related as they have greatly diminished as I've brought anxiety under control. 

Anxiety may not be the only problem, but it definitely makes everything worse and can cause all sorts of bizarre physical symptoms. It's definitely worth doing everything you can to reduce it (positive thinking, focussing on a passion, spending time with friends/family, long walks, yoga, deep breathing, etc.)

• Posted

Did anybody get any answer to this. I've been physically unwell with all these symptoms for around 2 years. The veins have been coming up on my hands for around 5 months and seem to be getting worse. One doctor says it's low blood pressure then another says it's anxiety. I started getting anxiety after I had been poorly for around a year n half. Did anyone get any answer as to what the veins on the palms are and what's causing them? Surely this can't all be in my head!

• Posted

no I didn't, they think it was related to fibromyalgia and my circulation. since I've improved my circulation and diet some of the symptoms have been alot milder. Still trying to get answers though unfortunately. for a while they just blamed it on my anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.