Why are we prescribed this drug if it is full of these side

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello, Ihave just been prescribed these after being on benzaflourine(water tablet); I have read the side effects of these and read all themessages on this website and i am scared stiff. Why do doctors prescribe these tablets if it causes more problems then it solves? Are doctors on some sort of commission? Is there no safe alternative? What should I do as these are the only tablets i have now and have to start this medicaton tommorrow? Has anyone had a good experience? Are blood test to be done every month? Please help I am scared.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have been on these for a month, and while I do have a cough, apart from that I feel fine. I have discussed it with my GP and we feel the benefits outweigh the side effects -in my case at least.
  • Posted

I've been taking ramipril for about 6 months along with other anti-hypertensive medication and have suffered no side effects. I don't have a cough even though (hate to admit it) I'm a nicotine junky.

Regards

Keith

• Posted

I have just taken Ramipril for my first week, 1.25mg, I was told to increase to two tablets Thurs, however I had had such a bad week with nausea, lighthead, and culmintating in the worst headache I can remember, I re-visited my Doc (not the original one unfortunately), who immediately took me off them, saying such a small dose should not have had such side effects.

I have had 10years on a water tablet, and Atenolol, and no apparant ill effects, the Ramipril was added for good reasons I know, but obviously not for me, I am on Candsarten, now from yesterday and fell much better already.

I must also add that I am suspicious about the cost of some of these drugs, and am convinced we are tried on the cheapest first ... !!

Sorry for the negative, but I thought I was pretty tolerant to most things, not so this Ramipril ...

Brian

• Posted

Unfortunately almost all pharmaceutical products that treat complex health conditions such as hypertension successfully have adverse side affects.

As others have mentioned, weigh up the pros and cons and discuss with your GP about possible alternatives. Do not consider \"self-unprescribing\" and discontinue use before seeking further advice.

Headaches, joint pain and vertigo are just minor irritations compared to cardiac failure! Don't make any rash decisions and take uneducated advice (some found on this forum!). Talk to your GP

David. FRCS(Ophth)

• Posted

[quote:1397a2b9e0=\"Ecky\"]

I must also add that I am suspicious about the cost of some of these drugs, and am convinced we are tried on the cheapest first ... !!

Brian[/quote:1397a2b9e0]

Trust me this isn't a cheap drug.

• Posted

[quote:6054da0ea7=\"Robert T \"][quote:6054da0ea7=\"Ecky\"]

Brian[/quote:6054da0ea7]

Trust me this isn't a cheap drug.[/quote:6054da0ea7]

NHS purchase costs for Ramipril. Sorry, Cheap, Very Cheap......

28 x 1.25mg = £1.96

28 x 2.5mg = £1.63

28 x 5mg = £2.68

28 x 10mg= £2.68

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.