Why can't I listen to my own advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello ladies. I've been answering other discussions put on by ladies experiencing heart attack like symptoms, due to being perimenopausal, but when it comes to my own symptoms (pounding heart, tight chest, pins and needles in my fingertips, feeling like I can't breath, jaw ache etc etc etc) I don't seem to be able to accept that it's just because I'm peri. I've had my heart checked and bloods which have all come back as tickety boo. Why is this so scary and how do I get my brain to accept what the doc is telling me? It's worse when I'm at home alone. Any suggestions?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Deep breathing and listen to relaxation apps which help by going into your subconscious . .they have helped me to be more relaxed and postive.
  • Posted

I wish i had some suggestions for you. I struggle with the same thing. I just try to take some deep bdeathes and tell myself that I am ok. No matter how many times you tell yourself that, its still scary when it happens.
    • Posted

And just when you think you've got it sussed, it comes back with a vengeance!
  • Posted

Hi Louise, I'm exactly the same, though I am probably classed as post meno now. A couple of years no period.  I'm forever batting away symptoms, but every so often I get myself in a state about something, this time, pain in my left shoulder, tightness in my neck.  A few weeks ago I , for want of a better expression, pulled my neck.  Don't know what I did but was stiff and had a couple of days of barely being able to move it.  Settled down but had intermittent pain and stiffness.  Seems to go completely for a week or so.  Then two weeks ago had a couple of dizzy/woozy episodes, another couple this week.  Not doing anything in particular, but felt a bit 'swimmy'.  Yesterday and today pain in shoulder - this morning tears! I was at docs on Tuesday - he's asked me to get some bloods done and an ecg, which is Monday.  I'm quite active.  Spin twice a week and walk my dog.  Anxious all the time, this morning telling myself it must be either a heart attack he's looking for or some other heart problem.  I'm so scared ..... again!  Pain still there, eases a little.  Trying to ease my way through it ....... but, as you can see I'm still thinking about it.  
    • Posted

It's a nightmare. How come some ladies just seem to not worry about anything? What's their trick?
  • Posted

Don't know, lucky ducks!  Just know I seem to spend an awful lot of time in doom and gloom land! Fed up.  Spoiling my life.  Had a real low about a year and a half ago when I had some blood in poo (!) convinced myself I had bowl cancer.  Tests all clear and have tried to be positive since then - had been working for a while, but this feels similar, in that I'm thinking about it all the time and I think, making my symptoms worse.   Can't relax.  Hope you settle down soon.  Fingers crossed for the tests.  Getting an eye exam tomorrow - but sitting here thinking about brain tumours ! I know, irrational, but can't help it!  I just wish I was more relaxed.
    • Posted

Ah my heart goes out to you people don't know what a nightmare this is X I went on fluroxatine 6 year's a go and never looked back .I do have the odd blip but it is managable now .it takes the edge off things and I have at last got my life back after battling for 20 years. I definitely think it's helped me go through the menopause .
    • Posted

Thank you, Wen. I'm desperately trying not to go down the medication route as I'm not a big fan. However, if I have many more nights like last night, I may have to change my mind. 
    • Posted

I was exactly the same. But wish I had done it earlier. I won't ever come off them now as I never want to go back to how I felt on and off for 20 years. It's worth a try Louise u have nothing to loose .
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice, Wen. It helps to know that other ladies are going, or have gone through, the same thing. The difficult part is getting your brain to accept that what is happening is 'normal'. I've made a note of fluroxatine, and if I do get to the stage where I just can't cope anymore, I'll discuss it with my doc. Thankyou, lovely x
    • Posted

Honest worth a try X here to help if I can .u are not alone with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.