Why can’t I sleep?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I’m 5 years into menopause.  

Sleep is so difficult. I can go a few weeks and sleep well but then oh dear, awful.  I’ll be tired sitting downstairs, go up to bed but sleep just wont come.  I just can’t relax.

Anyone else find this?

Any tips?

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I also have sleepless night!! Very anxious!!! Mostly worry about my health!!! Wish I had some tips!! Just know your not alone!! 
  • Posted

I have to take many things to sleep ... most natural but when I need a ‘good sleep’ I’ll take a sleeping pill. Nothing feels worse than just trying to get through the day waiting for bed time to come around . 
  • Posted

Hi girl, I wake up every 2 to 4 hours most every night, did some research, I found your adrenaline can kick in when you wake up a lot and cause your fight to flight to kick in and tons  of stuff keeps going through your mind, because of fluctuating hormones! Crazy huh, well now I kinda know my problem, but still can't stay asleep... I have taken melatonin and has helped but doesn't any more, it's not strong enough to keep me asleep.. I try to go to bed the same time every night that kinda helps, my girl friend takes a bath every night and she says that works, haven't tryed that one yet, I don't do any caffeine after 2 in afternoon, what will we do girl?  I have also heard sleepy time tea, herbal I need to try that, I do know one thing if I have a hot flash I wake up also and that is when all the stuff starts going through my mind!!!

• Posted

I take an epsom salt bath every night and it relaxes you . I also take melatonin and medical marijuana chocolate  ( which knocks you out ) . You can also try Gaia Elderberry Night Time Syrup if pit isn’t legal where you live . It’s expensive but does knock you out ... makes you feel calm ... 

although you’re tired try your utmost to workout ... it tires out your body to the point where you must sleep . 

• Posted

Hi, Yes Insomnia is unfortunately part of all this to, I'm not sleeping great atm either, I fall asleep ok cause that shattered but been waking up at 2am since Sunday either coughing(acid reflux) or dying for loo I manage go back to sleep then 4 or 5am wake up for the loo again and cannot get back to sleep, anxiety keeps me from sleeping to sometimes. I'm also on my 5th week of hrt and feel atm it's contributing to my lack of sleep. I feel your frustration ?? I have tryed chamomile tea, kalms, over the counter sleeping aids like nytol which knocked me out that much my body felt like lead in the morning and couldn't get out of bed. The only thing that worked was activan a prescription sleeping benzo but I only take it in emergency's if I haven't slept for a long period and can't take the tiredness anymore as they are addictive, but even those don't work so well now as even though It was a month ago I last took one your body gets used to them and don't work as well. I've heard melatonin is good(not tryed myself) valerian, 5-HTP which I believe you can buy on Amazon and Passion flower although I have only tryed chamomile tea, kalms and nytol. Hope you manage to find something that helps you as sleep deprivation is awful.

• Posted

Yes I’ve been on HRT 5 weeks now too  ... first the combo patch and then dr changed so 1 week on just estrogen . So there’s the common denominator HRT ! I’ve read other women say it interferes with their sleep ... that’s not going to work for me as I feel strange to say the least and just cannot really relax with all the stress and side effects of this medication .  Let me know if you can handle this and plan to stay on it ? I’m going to 1/2 my dose tonight give it a few more days and see how I do . 

I’ve read that for the HRT and BHRT to work it’s all about getting the right dose. How do you know what’s right for you though?? 

I guess when you can’t sleep you know it’s not ‘right’ I’ve read some women have tried like 6 different ones .... how they get their strength to keep trying I don’t know .. I’m getting fed up . 

• Posted

Yes Lori I'm fed up already and first one tryed. I'm fed up with waking up early hours, feelings of nervousness in the morning, dreams that I'm exerting myself and wake up feeling bit panicked and spotting. I said to my partner I don't no if want to carry on with this as feel really nervous/anxious in mornings, he said you did b4 taking that but yeah you supposed b feeling better on hrt not worse or same as b4.

• Posted

All can add to that is a resounding YES!!!..to your question.
  • Posted

You can try taking a benadryl since it has no side effects. That what I take when I need to sleep. Even my doctor gives me a prescription for it. But my favorite sleeping pill was gabapentin. It took care of my hot flushes, my up & down hormonal issue and it put me to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.