Why can't you have sex while treating BV?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with BV on Wednesday and started treatment on Thursday. The doctor told me not to have sex until at least a week after I've finished my treatment, and she prescribed me metronidazole tablets. I'm 3 days into my treatment, and I forgot she had said that until I was about halfway through the deed. I've looked online everywhere and no where says WHY you can't have sex, everywhere just says not to. Why? Is it dangerous? Did I just put my health at risk, or worse, my boyfriend's?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

When I had it my doctor told me not to have sex with my partner because I can pass it to them. You need to make sure they are treated because if not you can get it again. There was a phase where I couldn't understand why I kept getting it, it was because my partner needed to be treated as well.
    • Posted

If you research if you will find that BV is something that they haven't full figured out yet. It's really tricky and technically no men cannot have BV, it's called "bacterial vaginosis" and men don't have vaginas lol. But they can affect your ph by having sex with you while you have it.
    • Posted

Well then what do I do?

My partner doesn't have insurance, so he can't exactly go get medicine for a 'vaginal infection'

• Posted

I would speak to your health care provider. Let them know that your partner doesn't have insurance and they may be able to suggest something that isn't over the counter. I haven't have a reoccurance in years, so it's worth looking into.

I understand it's a little confusing because BV isn't a sexually transmitted disease, but it has been proven it you keep getting it and you're having sex with one partner they may need treatment.

Also if you have more than one partner, that can offset your ph as well

• Posted

First let me say that your partner can't pass it to you. Semens pH is 8+ a women's pH should be no higher than 4.5. This creates the perfect storm and can cause your pH to be thrown off causing bv
    • Posted

If my partner cannot get bv and cannot pass it back to me, then why am I not supposed to have sex until a week after treatment?
    • Posted

Here are somethings to remember. BV is caused by a ph imbalance.  The normal pH of the vagina is 4.5 or less Any thing higher can cause a problem:

Menstruation: Blood has a pH of 7.4, so during your period, vaginal pH becomes elevated.

Tampons: Since they retain the fluids that cause pH to increase, tampons can contribute to the problem, especially if you “forget” a tampon and leave it in too long.  

Intercourse: The pH of semen is 7.1 to 8.

Douching and cleansers: Any vaginal infusion of water or other fluids can affect vaginal pH. The pH of water is 7, and fragrances and perfumes can also irritate the vagina.

Menopause or pregnancy: These are times where hormones fluctuate, which is associated with elevated pH.

• Posted

Its to give you a rest and the medication will work better but do drink plenty of water
  • Posted

Men cant get bv, but... If a woman has bv the bacteria can seep into him. Thats why. He has to ejaculate 3 times on jis on to het it out. If you get cured he can still have it in him... Trust me.

Mocris Anderson

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.