Why did I pass out after breaking my arm?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I work at a trampoline park and I’m used to doing tricks and flips but I misjudged a front flip over rotated and stuck my arms out the save me. I knew straight away it was broken and I got up held it and walked off the trampoline and as soon as I stood up I felt everything going black and next thing I knew I was on the floor, arm all mangled and a very scared manager next to me. 

I’ve broken bones before and been fine, why did I pass out ?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Shock I would imagine, which would cause BP to drop and hey presto you zonked out.

It doesn't always happen but it can depend on how quick you got up as that would also effect BP hope your feeling better now

• Posted

Its your body's reaction to a stressful situation. Your body was flipping,then your arm was broken suddenly,then you got up and got off the trampoline.Your body's totally normal reaction is to try and protect you from more stress so it  blacked you out.   Most medics would say keep still and sit quietly after an accident like this.  

• Posted

This happened to me when I broke my fibula. Not a total blackout, but every time I tried to get up I got nauseous and dizzy. I had to rest for about 45 minutes before I was able to get up and start hiking out on my stable ankle fracture (that I thought was a sprain).
  • Posted

What did the doctor who took care of your broken arm have to say about the black out?  If different from the two very good answers you already received please let us know.
    • Posted

I did not ask, think I was a bit out of it by the time a doctor saw me. I’m having it re-xrayed in a couple of days i’ll ask them and let you know! 
  • Posted

Well dude, I agree with the others. The stress to your body caused you to pass out. It can be a normal reaction to what has occurred. What bone(s) did you end up breaking? What is your age? Any other underlying conditions? All this needs to be taken into account. All I can add is after breaking my wrist, I would have rather been in labor and given birth EVERY day. 🤕

• Posted

Had a displaced Colles fracture both ulna and radius went, had it reduced and casted. I’m 24, no underlying conditions and hoping to avoid surgery, I’m going back in a week to had it re-xrayed  and if it’s stayed in place I can keep the cast, otherwise it’ll be a plate job. 
  • Posted

I have my fingers crossed for you that the cast will keep your bones in place so you can heal without plates.   You are young and active and should heal just fine.  It was interesting to me when my doctor showed me the difference in the xrays from the 1st view of my Jones (5th metatarsal) fracture to the 2nd view 4 weeks later.  If I were you I would ask to have the xrays explained.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.