Why did my DWP decision maker call me?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ive recently had a face to face pip assessment after requesting a re assessment due to worsening of condition. The decision id now with the powers that decide. Today they called me to clarify exactly how long my condition has been significantly worse for. I sent extensive medical evidence that I thought explained this. Ftr it has been the case for the last 12 months but I didnt ask for the reassessment until 6 months ago. I feel like I've said something negative towards my claim...

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Depending on how long you've been claiming PIP there could be a number of reasons for the call, but if you're worried the best thing to do is ring the DWP and ask to speak to someone regarding your claim, to clarify why they rang.  It could  possibly besomething as simple as they have decided to make an enhanced award of one or more of the components and are checking to see how far it should be backdated.  I think your question demonstrates perfectly Howe terrified people are about contacting the DWP about PIP, once an award has been made, and I do have a note of caution for anyone considering it.  

All benefit recipients have to report any change of circumstance which may affect benefit entitlement - this is nothing new, it applied to DLA and applies to PIP.  If your condition gets better before your review date, you MUST tell th DWP so they can determine if you still qualify. 

However, if your condition worsens you really have to be sure that you have a good chance of achieving a higher award, because when you inform the DWP of the deterioration,  the benefit rules (specifically PIP regulation 4) state that the whole award has to be looked at again, and there is no guarantee that you will benefit. For example, if you have enhanced rate mobility and standard rate care, and you ask for a review because you believe you may qualify for enhanced care, the DWP will also reconsider your mobility award as well and they may consider a lower award to be more appropriate, so you would be no better off, and if you have a motability car it would make things worse, as you would lose it.  This DOES happen, so you need to be absolutely sure of yourself before you disturb a current award.  I have dealt with the DWP on a number of occasions recently and have always found them to be helpful - although it can be difficult to get through on the phone lines.  Contrary to popular belief, neither the DWP or any of the assessment providers have any 'targets' for getting people off benefits - this is an urban myth.  Unfortunately the new benefit (PIP) was designed to save money by tightening eligibility so the perception is that there are targets. It's easy to see why people are worried. Please consider contacting the DWP  and ask to speak to someone about your claim, because it might just put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Thankyou, this is helpful. I called today and they told me that it has been decided that I continue to be eligible for the standard rate of care and also now I am eligible for enhanced mobility of which I had none before. I'm happy with this decision and now need to investigate what this allows me to do with it.

I've apparently been awarded this for 5 years...does this mean I am reassessed at that time?

• Posted

Hi Jodie.  Really pleased for you.  Yes, a five year award means that around 12 months before the award expires, the DWP will send you a review form to complete.  This will ask about your condition and whether it is better, worse or the same as when you were awarded PIP.  Depending on how you complete it, and any supporting evidence you send, there may also be a repeat face to face assessment.  For now, just relax, knowing that you have a fair award. Well done.  I also think this kind of explodes the myth that the DWP are out to reduce every award.  Fair decisions CAN be had - I think the DWP need to focus on making sure all decision makers are properly trained and reducing any room for misinterpretation in PIP rules and regulations.
    • Posted

Contrary to popular belief, neither the DWP or any of the assessment providers have any 'targets' for getting people off benefits - this is an urban myth.

?I would agree, but from actual personal knowledge they do 'flag' individuals up on their systems as special cases that do warrant a more thorough and closer look into their benefit eligibility.

?This can be earlier/more frequent re-assessments than the norm, more attention to the quality and validity of any evidence offered.

• Posted

I think the DWP need to focus on making sure all decision makers are properly trained and reducing any room for misinterpretation in PIP rules and regulations.

The PIP rules and regulations are NOT actually the rules that the DWP work to.

​They have their own version of what they want the rules and regulations to say. Their own interpretation. You will find these in the various Decision Makers Handbook.

• Posted

I agree - people who are flagged tend to be the ones who are in receipt of short term awards and are regularly assessed.  But this is usually because their condition is not expected to last unchanged for the whole of the award period, or is expected to fluctuate, meaning a change either up or down of the original award.  The DWP are also now routinely building in what they call a 'timed intervention' to each award.  This means that the claimant will be contacted 12 months before the award ends, in order to start the reassessment process. This effectively means that awards last twelve months less that they say on paper.  

• Posted

Don't agree Les.  The decision makers handbook is widely available and regularly updated, but in my experience decision makers tend to stick with whatever the assessors say on the assessment report.  There is much criticism following a public accounts committee review.  Decision makers are supposed to look at all the evidence but in practise they are only using the assessment reports - this effectively means that claimants need to get all extra evidence in with their claim form  BEFORE any face to face assessment so that the extra evidence can be considered by the assessor before they write the report. Decision makers have no medical training and are relying fully on the assessment report and rubber stamping whatever the assessor says.  My point is that the assessors are not fully qualified to assess a lot of the complex disabilities they encounter.  For example someone in my support group who has a neurological disability was assessed by a physiotherapist and she had to explain every detail of the neurological effects, as he could only assess the physical effects.  This means that fine detail is missed and the effects on everyday life's are being under scored.  That is what I meant when I said that assessors need to be better trained in order to properly evaluate claimants and avoid any misinterpretation.  If decision makers rely so much on their reports surely this is a logical step to ensure a fair assessment for the claimant and eventually the number of appeals would reduce.

• Posted

I don't disagree, but in my case being flagged has more to do with their opinion as to my credibility and previous history than the length of an award

• Posted

As for the DWP handbooks they are written by/for the DWP and are nothing more than how the DWP want to interpret what the law says. They are certainly not legally binding!
  • Posted

HI jodie

I'm so glad it all went well for you. I have been told that I have to have a health assessor come to my home. I haven't been given a date yet. I'm such a mess with worry I'm thinking of telling them to cancel my claim. As all this stress is making me worse. I just need to sort a car out if I do that as they will take this one back. 😢

It's been 11 weeks already an I've not even had a date for my assessment. 11 weeks of worry and upset .

Pip is meant to help people but I think it causes so much stress it that it makes yyou wonder of its worth it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.